1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally feeling good about myself

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by The Dude, Jul 7, 2013.

1. The Dude

So I've been out to my friends for a few months now, with only good reactions.

About a month ago my oldest brother, for whatever reason, was really interested as to why I don't really date much. He kept bothering me all day and I just kept deflecting the question. I didn't feel I was ready for him to know. Despite this, when he cornered me in the kitchen that night and asked me point blank, "Are you gay? I won't care if you are", I was able to admit it.

About a month later my other brother figured it out one morning. We work together at a day camp, and one day during arts and crafts I made a rainbow bracelet with my kids there. He took the jokes a little to far that day, but one of his best friends is gay and he's never been bothered by gay people. He will always be supportive.

So this past weekend, he had his friends over to drink, and his gay friend was there. It turns out my brother told him, and his friend even said that he knew about me being gay for years. He pointed to an example from four years ago that led him to believe I was gay, something I don't even remember. We ended up talking for a very long time that night, and it was basically a big gay pep-talk. I was asking questions, he was telling me how best to come out at college (he just graduated from the same one I go to), and how I should tell my parents. Finally coming out to an out gay person and being able to talk about it was a tremendous feeling. I no longer have a feeling of loneliness.

Still got a lot of work to do (parents), but compared to where I was just six months ago, on this site confused and depressed about my orientation, I'd say I've come a long way in a short amount of time.

Wouldn't be able to have come this far without the help of the older members on this site and I thank them for sharing there experiences and advice, whether it be on a post of mine or one I'm reading. Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday!

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on your progress so far! That is fantastic. I am glad to read that you have received support and can be yourself around your brothers, and friends. :slight_smile:

3. Formality

I'm really happy for you :slight_smile: I wish I had as awesome brothers as you do.

4. LinkLarkin

That's fantastic news! Many congratulations to you :slight_smile: (&&&)

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, awesome news and good for you for seeking help and taking their advice!

6. The Dude

Thanks everybody!