1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Came out to Best Friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by person57, Aug 2, 2013.

1. person57

I felt like I was ready to come out to someone and I thought about who I should come out to first. I chose to come out to my three best friends first. I messaged them on facebook and I was very nervous while I was waiting for them to reply. It turns out, they were all accepting and they took it very well. I'm so happy to have accepting friends. I'm considering coming out to my family and everybody else when I'm in college, but I don't know yet. I really want to come out to my family next, but I'm so scared because my older brother is homophobic, my little brother still isn't mature, and I'm nervous to tell my parents and I don't know why. I think its best if I write them a letter when I'm in college, but sometimes I just want to get it done now. What do you think?

2. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't get too caught up in what other people think you should an shouldn't do as it isn't them that has to live your life.

All you have to do is do what is right for you. If you don't feel comfortable about something, then don't do it. The opportunities often present themselves when your time is ready and you will know the time is right because your gut instinct will tell you.

There is no shame in no feeling ready to come out :wink:

You will also find that that homophobic brother of yours is not really that homophobic, it is more than likely all bravado :wink:

3. person57

Thanks for the advice, anyways, I'm really glad that I came out to three people that are very close to me :slight_smile:

4. person57

Omg nobody is happy for me or congratulating me :'(

5. LD579

On the contrary, many are probably happy for you. Some may not have seen this thread yet. Don't doubt that. =) Congratulations on taking that step. I'm glad to hear that your friends took it well, as well as they should've.

As for coming out to your family... That's a separate issue entirely. Without more info on your situation, it can be hard to help advise you.

EDIT:
    Unfortunately, I'm not you, and I wouldn't be able to tell you what you should do next. If you'd like, you could start another thread solely on that issue and I'd be happy to oblige and give some feedback. As it stands, I simply don't know enough about you, your family, or your relationship with them, and so I hesitate to say anything more.

#5 LD579, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  6. person57

If you were me, what would you do next?

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your friends! Great that they are supportive and accepting. From the sounds of it, it has given you motivation to continue coming out, which is great! :slight_smile:

In terms of coming out to your family, I'd suggest that you wait a little bit. Given that you know that your brother is homophobic and are not sure as to how your parents might react, it would be good to keep building your support network. Maybe consider joining a LGBT youth support group or try coming out to other friends that you trust.

Why do you think though your brother is homophobic? Has he made homophobic remarks? Or said something that leads you to think that he is homophobic?

8. person57

He has made rude comments about gay people, he says he's scared of gay people and he says its wrong to be gay because its against the bible.

---------- Post added 2nd Aug 2013 at 07:49 PM ----------

And I don't know any LGBT youth support groups.

9. Congratulations! What a brave and huge step, and it is wonderful that your friends accepted you! As for your parents, maybe drop hints, like checking out a guy in front of them, or perhaps bring up something in the news that has to do with the LGBT community, to see how they will react. If they react positivly and are pro-gay/transgender rights, it is probably gonna be fine for you to come out to them. If not, maybe wait until you are a bit older and see if they have changed their minds by that time, then tell them. But do not let anyone pressure you into coming out. The good thing about having a little brother is that, once you tell your parents, they will probably just have a talk with him about it and he will just growing up knowing this (well, I am guessing he is really young, but if he is older than 8 now, disregard what I am saying, lol). I have a baby sister and 4 year old brother and they will grow up knowing I am gay so there is no real need to come out to them, lol. But who knows? Maybe your old brother will grow up and change his mind before learning the truth, or perhaps you telling him will change his views. Good luck!

10. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's too bad that your brother holds the views that he does. Are your parents religious as well?

Sometimes, schools will have Gay Straight Alliances, maybe have a look at your school. Also, try doing a search online and see if something comes up. If you can't find something, try contacting your nearest PFLAG Chapter. They might be able to provide you with some information.

11. person57

My parents are religious, but I think they accept LGBT

12. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel that your parents would be accepting that's good. Maybe try gathering some more clues before coming out to them, and once you feel you are ready to let them know, give it a try.

Remember though that there is no rush in coming out. Take your time, and listen to what your instincts are telling you.

13. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    awesome! I came out to parents and close friends pretty recently.
    Its just, i need to come out to my grandparents since i live with them.

14. person57

Good luck on coming out to your grandparents! :slight_smile: