1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I wasn't prepared for this, tonight."

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Adarya, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Adarya

This actually happened almost two weeks ago, but I'm getting around to posting about it now.

I was invited over to a sleepover with two other friends, which was very fun and I was able to see Star Trek for the first time (loved it). After watching the movie, eating rainbow cake (sort of ironic, how we ate it and I came out to them later on), and talking for a couple hours the topic of people at school and conversations with others started to be discussed. This somehow led up to one of my friends jokingly asking "Lexie... who in the school, in your neighborhood, in your proximity, do you like?" and I sort of stared away for a while without answering because I couldn't really figure out how to. Then she said something about being a lesbian (I can't remember exactly what she said), but I know that all I replied with was "Well...." which then prompted her to ask if I was - in fact - a lesbian.

I remember saying "Shit, I wasn't prepared for this tonight." and that is practically how I came out to them.

They both responded unexpectedly, the one who had asked who I liked saying that I was now open to a lot of jokes (humorous ones, and what I said to that was "I'd rather be joked about sometimes rather then hated") and the other one - which I think had the best reaction - didn't seem phased at all, and even began to talk about how there were a lot of gay people in her family. Of course this led to the discussion of my own out-status and family, and I found it was really nice to talk to my friends in a face-to-face discussion about my sexuality. I'd never done that before, and it made me feel better as well as strengthened my relationship with them.

I've promised myself to try to not come-out to many more people (if it can be helped) before telling my father. Anyways, with that coming up it feels great to know that I have two more friends who have my back and will accept me no matter what :grin:

#1 Adarya, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  2. Holly

Congratulations! I definitely recommend getting a small support network of friends who know before you tell you parents. My friends gave me the confidence to come out to them, but also gave me the experience of coming out to people.

I've also got a jokey friend, but I know she just jokes because it's her way of showing she's 100% cool with it. I glad yours reacted so well!

3. Congratulations! How brave of you! So happy your friends accepted you.