1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a better reaction than you dreamed from people you didn't expect

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Fiddledeedee, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Fiddledeedee

Story first.

Sooo, I came out to my stepsisters today. M is 12 and T is 15, and they're both a lot of fun. We were watching Mean Girls, and in the opening there was a moment where a boy from the Deep South says about killing the homosexuals. T commented that it really was that bad down there, and I said that it was very different here -- why, when I came out at school it was news for a couple days and then everyone was just like "meh".

T: Wait, you're gay?
    Me: I'm bisexual.
    T: Oh, okay.
    M: What's that?
    Me: It means I might end up with a guy or a girl.
    T: See, she doesn't discriminate!
    *high fives*

We talked a little bit more, and guess what? They were really enthusiastic about gay marriage being legalised, they had been to a pride parade at least once, and they were just totally cool. They were also able to tell me that their mom will likely be fine with it. Then we went back to watching and laughing about the movie -- nothing had changed, and that was awesome. It's the best reaction I've had from anyone.

But what makes this so good is that I really had no clue how they would react to my sexuality. I had never had a chance to sound them or hear their thoughts. All I knew related to them and sexuality was that their stepmom (who I don't know) had changed her Facebook profile pic to the red equality sign when that was a thing, but also that Dad (their stepdad) was against gay marriage and not exactly encouraging to gay people. I was worried that they wouldn't like to play with me knowing that I like girls. But I got a better reaction than I ever dreamed of from people who I didn't ever expect to get a good reaction from. And I'm just so happy now.

And using sentence fragments. You might be able to tell. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. wanderinggirl

Aww congratulations!! Looks like you got some awesome familial support. You are one lucky girl!

3. Wells

Wells Guest

Lucky lucky. That's real good to hear :grin:

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I once told an online friend of mine I was bi in the most casual way possible, after she mentioned one of her irl friends shared the orientation. I expected it would be no big deal, but she said she congratulated me, felt honored that I would confide in her, blah blah, etc. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: She was heaping on the praise. I told her it wasn't extremely hard for me to tell her (she's a phenomenal person) but apparently I was doing something courageous lol.

5. Yea same. For me telling online friends was like nothing but irl, it's different XD

6. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    Yeah, mine was too good.
    My friends just didn't give a damn.