1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to the known universe..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by enigmeow, Aug 3, 2013.

1. enigmeow

I was having a conversation with a ex-bf who criticized me about how I was still closeted even when not closeted. He pointed me at a youtube video (Social Experiment: Wearing a Gay T-shirt in Public - YouTube) where a woman experimented with just outing herself to the known universe

So, last weekend I put on a LGBT t-shirt and spent the weekend shopping, at the movies, etc.. I refused to cover up and refused to take it off no matter how much I wanted to.

My internalized homophobia was terrified somebody would think I was gay. I wasn't worried about violence or anything (where I live, that stuff doesn't happen).. but .. what if somebody thought I was gay?! I would literally shake as I was getting out of my car. I was so tense almost every time I would transition from private space to public space. Twice I went out to the movie theater and chickened out before going in.. But finally, I pushed through it

It was amazing and probably the best thing I have ever done for my own mental health. The world now knows I am gay from the people at the coffee shop, the food store owners, my neighbors, the archery shop, etc.. I can for the first time in my life stop self editing and stop second guessing myself. I probably will stop wearing these kind of shirts every day but for now, it is good for me

Next week, the gym and my doctors office.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just loved the part where she said "The first stop on my outing..." pretty clever of her. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. George

That's great that you were able to go through with this, and I'm glad it was a good experience for you. I've also considered using a t-shirt to come out to all the people I interact with on a daily basis. However, because I am in Florida right now I am a little nervous about it. Most people I'm sure wouldn't react too negatively to it, but the small chance that something bad could happen is what keeps me from doing it. Maybe one day though!