1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my Family: Part 1

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BuyTheStars, Aug 3, 2013.

1. BuyTheStars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am happy to say that today, I finally took a step forward in my life and came out to my mother!

My mom came home around 5 o'clock from work. She was tired and hungry, complaining about her day as usual as she made dinner and asked me if I wanted to rent a movie with her.

I figured I would get off the computer for a little bit and find something to watch, I mean I have been on it all day. We looked through the rental's and finally decided on watching Tyler Perry's new drama Temptation's which had received high ratings by the viewers.

Around 2 hours later the movie ended, and honestly it was pretty good. We went outside and sat on the patio reflecting about the flick, finding parallel's between the movie and our life experience. (Spoiler Alert) The main character ended up just being friend's with her husband since she cheated on him.

We talked about friendships and how close me and her are as friends... -And that's how I broke my silence.

"-I mean, we pretty much tell each other everything!" She laughed "Your like my best friend!"

"Well, I mean not everything... Your a blabber-mouth!" I said jokingly to her

"What do you mean?" she asked confused

"Well, whenever I tell you not to tell dad anything.. You always do!" I looked at her this time kinda serious

"Well.. What do you mean, are you hiding something?" She grabbed the dog and pet it

"Well, I am just saying that there are something's about me you don't know, and there's things about you I don't know."

I think at that moment she knew I was hiding something, because that's when the questions started. She kept saying "Tell me, come on.. If its that serious I wont tell anyone." which of course I answered "NO" and that "It's personal"...

"Well... Is it about your sexuality?" she asked jokingly and she saw my face go from happy to serious.

"Mom... Im gay."

That moment seemed like it was in slow motion, I can still feel my heart beat climbing and my self tremble. I remember her looking at me and smiling, a genuine smile that usually appeared when she was happy... Wait... Was she happy!?

"I know baby, I've known for a while." she smiled at me and gave me a hug

"Really?"

"Yes, and if your happy... Im happy."

She than gave ma a kiss on the cheek and we continued to talk about my sexual orientation, I was so shocked that she was supportive! I mean at times when we were talking it would get awkward for a moment, but ultimatly I am soooooo happy that I am out to her now; she even promised that she wouldn't tell anyone until I was ready!

I am so thankful to have such a kind and supporting mother! <3

------------------------------------------

Coming out checklist:

Mom: [X]
    Dad: []
    Brother: []

------------------------------------------
    Coming out date to my mom: 8/3/2013 (*hug*)

2. TimK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! I hope it feels good - it certainly did when I told my family! I have a twin brother and three sisters plus my parents so it was a bit of a mammoth session for me but so worth doing. Good luck with the rest of your family.

3. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    congratulations, it's a huge step n your life and you should be proud of yourself.

A word of advice, a good idea to have Mum with you as a support person when you talk to your Dad and Brother.

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations on taking the first step to coming out to your family :slight_smile: (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :thewave: I wish you luck on coming out to your father and brother. Although, your brother will have your back no matter the circumstances. He's family and he loves you :slight_smile: (*hug*) You're very lucky to have an understanding and supportive mother :slight_smile:

5. BuyTheStars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    BROFIST for all that Emoticon Work! <3

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    May I request a brohoof? <3

7. BuyTheStars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I ain't all that into MLP but I guess if thats what floats your boat!! :slight_smile:

*BROHOOVES*

8. Ritor365

Haha, congrats! You're so brave for working up the courage to tell her! :slight_smile:

Good luck in your dad and brother! I'm us they'll be fine with it! I'll keep checking this thread for your updates :icon_wink (&&&)