1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so.....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Sam, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Sam

Sam

I just came out to my moms best friend who I've known my whole life and who is like my aunt I sent her a message on myspace and she hasn't replied yet and I am so nervous it does get a little easier the more you do it but it still makes me so nervous I literally shake I am so impatient when it comes to waiting for a response

2. david nelson

david nelson Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Boy, is that ever a chicken way out....but at least you don't have to be present for the fireworks, if there are any.. But the old addage, better SAFE the sorry...sure fits here...The delay for a response may be due to shock..Give her time, she will let you know in her own good time..just don't wet your pants in the meantime.(*hug*) :eusa_clap

3. Jerr

keep busy it'l help

4. tired_of_lying411

I think it's wrong to call it a chicken way out. It's a start. I told many friends via email/msn... even my brother. I recently told my dad, in person, and I must admit that my sense of accomplishment is way bigger, but it's not like it's a contest.

This is news we have to get out. So it doesn't really matter how we do it. Whatever works for us.

It's not like a game, you don't get more points for telling people in person.

5. Sam

Sam

thanks tired but really its ok maybe I am chicken but thats how I feel comfortable doing what I think needs to be done and if I am a chicken by doing that then I am a chicken. The only one I have ever told in person is my best friend and I was drunk I told my mom and dad by letter and I talked to a friend on the phone and through myspace. but anyway the one I was talking about in my post earlier sent a reply saying that she was fine with it so yeah another one down and many family members to go (she is like family) but what I think I'm gonna do is tell one aunt and let the gossip spread gotta love family gossipers!

6. LorenzG1950

Glad it worked out positively:eusa_clap . Letters can be an excellent alternative as your example shows. It also worked for me since my relatives are in the states and I didn't want to wait until I saw them again. Depending on your writing skills, you can be much more personal in a letter than you might be in person when the tension can make you unbelievably tongue-tied. It was sheer agony when I came out to my girlfriend in person, just to get the words out "I'm gay".

It does get easier after the first time but it depends on how close you are to the person. The more they mean to you, the tougher it is. I think that's the fear of losing them or possibly getting a negative reaction.

Good luck with the gossip plan and let us know how fast the news spreads:slight_smile: .

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's a bit strong, Dave.

It is not easy however you choose to do it. The important thing is doing it. biloved86 has done it, which is brilliant!

Yes, face-to-face is probably best if you can bring yourself to do it that way, but many people can't. I came out to my parents and sister by letter (this was before the Internet existed) as did quite a few people at that time. MySpace, email, MSN etc are just modern alternatives to post and telephone.

tired_of_lying411's comments are spot on too!

i am so pleased it has worked out well, and you have another positive response! Congratulations!! (!) (!) (!) (!) (!)

8. tired_of_lying411

YAY!!!! another good coming out! (!)

I think that I gained strength in telling people online. It helped me realize that this was something that people could deal with, something I could tell people, and the world wouldn't end.

I think, for me at least, that coming out in a more impersonal manner was a step in the process. I think that I am strong enough now that when the time comes, and I do need to tell more people, I will be able to do it in person.

I know I will always have the people that accept me already.

So yeah, it's all good. We all find ways to get it out. That's the main thing

Congrats again !!! :eusa_danc :thumbsup:

9. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Yay! Congratulations on a good coming out!

And no, you are definitely not a chicken. It takes guts to tell someone close to you, no matter how you do it. The beauty about the coming out process is that you get to decide exactly how you want to do it, and if you choose to tell someone through myspace, that's totally fine. And hey, it yielded positive results, so, in the grand scheme of things, the medium you choose is entirely unimportant.

Congratulations again!

-Chris