1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by spyro657, Aug 12, 2013.

1. spyro657

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello EC i am here to tell you guys that i finally came out to my dad that i was bisexual. My mom already knew so she was there the entire time supporting me through it! So this is how it went

Me and my dad dont initially have the "best" relationship but its not the worst. So it was the hardest coming out to date! Anyways Me my mom and my dad were sitting on the couch watching tv and i wanted to tell him something so i turned off the tv and said "dad i have something to tell you...(i sat there not saying anything for about 30 seconds) Well i have been having these thoughts for a while and it really concerned me on what your going to say.... Well i am bi" Both of us sat there not saying anything for about 2 minutes... I then left to let it sink in. I came in later to see how he was doing and he said "i am confused as shit! Do you even know what a bisexual is and what they do, And is it just a phaze, the tipical questions (btw in a angry voice) He didnt sound pleased :frowning2: He then left to the other room to think about it and went to bed and he said good night to everybody but me and went to bed.

Well thats my coming out to my dad story i hope it gets better in the morning!

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It will get better...it`s a shock to his system and to what he has always believed about you, (and about himself!)...just give him time...but make no compromises or deals to get him on your side, you are what you are and it will be his job to come to terms with it!

3. Munyal

Me too. I think he is in the shock stage right now. Eventually he will actually spend some time thinking about it, and be better with the information.

4. Andbenz0189

Well i don't know what to say, my situation was horrible, specially with my dad. But it was the complete opposite reaction. My mom was the one who was angry, my dad was just sad. As soon as I told them he started to cry while my mom started asking the questions (shouting and acting as if i'd done something awful). It's only been like a year and a half and the subject only came up once again after the first time. Truth is i feel like they just needed more time to realize what it meant. My mom's not angry anymore, and my dad kinda acts as if nothing had happened, it's not the best situation, but it's better. Not sure if this helps but i hope you sort things out with him.

5. spyro657

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww i am so sorry about your experience :frowning2: But my mom was actually really supportive i just at there against her crying for about 15 minutes because i was worried and still am

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let us know how it goes spyro.

7. Data

Data Guest

Perhaps he was just overly emotional in the moment. It is scientifically proven that when the body goes to sleep, the brain conducts repairs of its synapses and undergoes organization of thoughts. Sleep is crucial in decision making. The phrase "Sleep on it" is pretty literal. Maybe after a day or two, he'll see things a bit clearer and with less raw emotion. If he loves you (most parents do) he will see that it isn't the only aspect of your personality. Your mum might soften him up a bit too. Definitely keep everyone updated. Best of luck!

8. spyro657

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to keep you guys updated but my dad had to leave for work early today. So i have to wait until about 4:00 I will kepp you guys updated!

9. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck, hope everything goes well for you! Just remember that it will take time for your fad to get used to. Be patient and things will get better. They always do!

10. Wells

Wells Guest

This must be the shock phase. Hopefully he will be okay in the morning. :grin:

11. spyro657

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok he came back qnd apparently there are new "rules" to the house I can spend the night at friends houses and they cant spend the night here, Oh and i cant even go in the basement with them... That sucks because i am a gamer and my console is downstairs :frowning2: I dont even like any of my friends like that and i told him. On the bright side he says he still loves me and he will never do anything to make me feel bad or hurt me or my feelings

12. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations on being so brave, we all know how hard it is :thumbsup:
    I am sorry that it did not go to plan, being a parent is unconditional, you cannot switch off your love for your children, you might not agree with them, but you brought them into this World & for better or worse, they are still your Kids, at least you know he is still there for you & given time, he may relax his new house rules (*hug*)

13. Night Rain

A bit hypocritical of him considering all those rules he set don't you think? You should really talk to him what this makes you feel. He is overreacting. Perhaps ask your mom to help you talk with him?

14. jae

jae

I think it went rather well!

As for your fathers new set of rules, well as a father myself I dont allow my sons private or unsupervised time with their girlfriends ( or any female) in my home. So your father is now probably looking at private time with both males and females in the same light. Dont be too hard on him, it could have turned. out worse.

Congratulations. :thumbsup:

#14 jae, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  15. spyro657

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the congrats everybody! But on what he said means i cant really do anything with my friend as much as talk without anybody there :frowning2: I guess he is worried about experimenting and stuff like that but we have never done anything like that yet (I only have one friend mostly coming over)

16. Andbenz0189

well i tend to go sleep at my friends' houses all the time, when i came out to my parents though they were reluctant to let me. after a few months i spoke with them and explained (being very calm while i did helped a lot) how any of my friends were a sexual attraction to me. i just told them that my friends were more like brothers to me and i promised them as i did myself when i realized i was bisexual, that i would never hit on any of my close friends. maybe give them some time but you can make them understand that there are friends and there are crushes and people you're attracted to, and those two are very different.

17. spyro657

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the advice! I just want to give my dad some time to let me being bisexual to sink in before i confront him with that