1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by tayana, May 16, 2008.

1. tayana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I forgot to post my coming out story. My son spent part of spring break with his grandma and accidently outed me. As a result, as soon as his spring break was over, my mother basically disowned me. I haven't spoken to her since March. She's made no attempt to contact me. I did send her flowers for Mother's Day and got a very curt, short and polite card in the mail. There was no "love, mom" on the card, just a thanks.

As a result of being outed, I came out to my brother, who's been supportive. He told me he has no problem with it, and he assures me that my dad doesn't either, although I can't speak to my dad without seeing my mom. I talk to my brother a couple of times a week, about our new house and all of the stuff we're doing.

So, now I'm out to everyone, if not on my terms, except at work.

Is it wrong that I don't really want anything to do with my mom. She said some very ugly things to my son when he told her, including that he shouldn't let my girlfriend live with us. My son loves my girlfriend, and thinks of her as part of the family.

2. Trumpetplyer23

Well...I don't exactly see not wanting to talk to your mom as bad, but its not a good thing either.

There is a similar situation like this going on between my dad and me. He knows my sexuality and isn't very supportive. And I never want to talk to him, and when I do it is very awkward and forced.

My advice, evaluate your relationship with your mother, if you think that you guys can come to an agreement without ripping each other's throat out, then fine. If not, it might be best to send her cards on Christmas and other holidays. Don't cut her completely out of your life, if you choose the second scenario, just don't include her so much.

However, I hope that you can resolve this issue. Best of luck :slight_smile: