1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That was a bit... underwhelming?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Olli, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Olli

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I just came out to my parents. They took it really well, they were just worried about me. And I'm relieved now it's done, I just thought it would be more joyful - like tears and group hugs and discussion for hours. But I just said I was fine, and they talked and said how they were worried and how I didn't need to rush things, and then I went to bed. It was just a bit underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, I'm so glad they reacted well! Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. Pat

Pat

LOL. Yep. A way for someone to really make you feel empty is to say they knew already lol. My mom said she knew and was waiting for me to tell her. My best friend told me he suspected it heavily because I tried to tell him once and he couldn't comprehend what I was saying. After coming out, you expect this liberal feeling and this new identity thing and it's just.. average sometime lol. And it's funny that it bothered me because all I ever wanted was to just say I was gay and have people treat me the same. So far I get the same treatment and the only time my sexuality comes up is when I mention it lol. Which sucks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. TimK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's very odd, isn't it? On the one hand we crave acceptance and to be treated as normal, on the other hand we'd like the coming out experience to be a bit special and a bit of a fuss! I had some similar experiences, but for me it was really great some time after coming out when I could have conversations that were no longer guarded.

I'm really glad it went well for you.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Haha yes, the underwhelming reactions are tricky to handle. Its like you don't want it to be a big deal at all, but then again it is a big deal since it has taken many of us years to get to this one single moment!!

I had a friend that just said "Oh, that's cool. Did you do the math hw for tomorrow?" xD I was the weirdest feeling.

Give it more time and talk more about it if you want. You can even ask "So how come you took it so well?" to talk about it. It helped me.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had my underwhelming experiences as well. As TheEdend said, those are tricky. We built up to the moment, and imagine how it would be when parents/friends react positively.

Happy for you that it went well, and that your parents are supportive. Congratulations! :slight_smile:

6. LinkLarkin

My most recent friend that I told just said "OK". Talk about that for a letdown! Put me off telling anybody else for a while because it just seemed to trivialise the internal struggle I'd gone through to reach that point (and also because I guess a slightly surprised reaction would have been nice...) but I've picked myself up and dusted myself off and am feeling ready to tell some more people.

Congratulations on working up the courage to tell your parents though! I'm seriously jealous of that! (*hug*)

7. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Be thankful it was underwhelming, couldve been a lot worse... or, a lot better.
    Either way, i think underwhelming is the way it should go.
    Well congrats man, glad it went ok!
    Cheers!

(and you will always have friends to overreact for you :wink: )

8. avignon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I first came out to a friend, I was so nervous and I created so much expectations. Then, when I finally told my friend, she was just accepting of me and told me that she doesn't really care if I'm gay, straight or what. My friend even told me that she thought I was dying or something.

And yea... your experience is still better than having negative reactions from your parents :grin:

9. GayNerd

Underwhelming experiences are actually good. You "lifted a heavy weight off your shoulders", and there wasn't anything majorly bad when you did. You're lucky to get a response like that.

Nonetheless, I'm happy for you!

10. Kenny207

That's actually quite good! My family is still in denial...yikes :frowning2:

11. Amerigo

my parents said they had no idea, which i thought was underwhelming

12. Munyal

My dad barely had a reaction because he already knew.

13. meltingpot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, sounds very similar to my experience. I think it may have been not so dramatic because they may have always known deep down inside but never wanted to really think about it being true. I guess they just needed it to hear it from my mouth. I think they were more surprised to hear me confess. They also expressed tbeir concerns, which I think stem from their fear of being gay in this society.

14. DerpyLittleMe12

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Lol yea i have had many underwhelming experiences XD