1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mom Was totally Cool

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by qwr42, Aug 23, 2013.

1. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys this is part two of this post: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/comin...ovie-i-have-ever-seen-will-change-my-mom.html

So instead of sending that email, i sat my mom down and made her watch Prayers For Bobby. (it was a bit more awkward than i thought :dry:slight_smile:

Anyways, she seemed like we totally missed the point of the movie, but we had this really long conversation after. She seems to be totally ok with me being gay now. She basically warned that she didnt want me "selling out that part of my personality yet." Fair enough, i suppose. I said i wasnt really interested in dating yet, and if a girl catches my eye i wont shake it off. basic logic for anyone i guess.

She still isnt supportive for gay marriage. She didnt really want to here it but just being loving and supportive of who i am is enough. So i asked, "what if i was 30, fully independent, and i wanted to marry a guy, would you show up to my wedding?" They may seem like a silly question, but that really is the biggest conflict we could have. I asked her this once before when i initially came out to her and she said no, but this time she smiled and said yes. (!)

The only boundary left is whether or not gay marriage is ok. I think it is, she doesnt, but we arent going to convince each other anytime soon. She just told me to leave everything open minded and in time things will happen the way it should.

All in all, i wont be dating anytime soon, thats half on my terms half on hers. I dont really care ill wait on that. But its good to know that she doesnt care, so thats good :thumbsup: Now, if i want, i can tell my other two sisters who dont know yet, and i can tell my close friends. Still hesitant on telling dad, but that will come in time.

Thank you all on your support on the topic. Cheers! (&&&)

2. Bryar Thorne

Congrats! I'm glad that it went well for you. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

That movie is so touching, I don't know how it couldn't move someone honestly. Really happy that it worked for you. :slight_smile:

3. kresukun

Congrats, and her reaction is a start, she'll become more accepting in time. I've left my Mum a note saying my feelings and asked her to watch 'Prayers for Bobby' before she confronts me about it.

This post really has made me happy about my own confession and that is a boost I really needed to thank you and good luck. (*hug*)

4. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's awesome! Congratulations! I don't think I could sit and watch that movie with my parents. I think I cried through most of it!

5. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys, its going real well.
    @drs, i had seen it before, i was surprised she didnt cry, i almost did but it certainly was awkward enough.
    @kreshunk, i wish you luck, lemme know how it goes :wink:

6. GayNerd

I have never seen the movie. But if it does this good for you, I might try it with my parents.

Of course, Congratulations on convincing your mom!!!