1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So my dad told me to see a therapist...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by TsurugiPrincess, Aug 26, 2013.

1. So my friends have known for a couple months now that I want to be a trans woman one day, hopefully soon... and I made the mistake of coming out about it to my dad tonight because he pissed me off. I basically just got sick of his sh:***:t and knew he wasn't going to accept me as a trans anyway, so it didn't matter when or how I told him. One of the first things he asked me was if I was gay, which I said NO (only because I didn't want to do a double whammy on him in one night, but looking back I probably should've :bang:slight_smile:, and he told me to see a therapist. He didn't believe I truthfully thought I wanted to be what I wanted to be, he thought I had been brainwashed or maybe anxiety from stress f:***:cked up my mind or something. Of course, I'm an adult (22), so I can do whatever I want (and I will) but I just thought I would tell him about my feelings out of courtesy, you know, because he is my DAD afterall...

Shortly afterwards I told my younger sister (via text conversation) who's 19 and bi, and she was perfectly fine with it. No problem. None. Now, my Mom is next. Hopefully that will go better than the conversation/argument I had with my dad...

Cheers!

PS - Hey, it was a story. And I'm new here. So :smilewave

2. Sayu

Welcome to EC! I hope you'll find the support you need here :slight_smile:

I think that seeing a therapist doesn't have to be a bad thing and that you could try it (maybe it would even help your Dad to overcome the shock or denial if he saw that you did what he asked you to). I hope your Mum will be okay with it, fingers crossed! :slight_smile:

Keep us updated! :slight_smile:

3. Bryar Thorne

Hiya! Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

As Sayu said, therapy isn't necessarily a bad thing. It could actually benefit you in a way. If you do happen to go to a therapist to talk about how you feel, you could always have a meeting with your father and your therapist and have it explained to him that you're perfectly alright and that this is what is right for you. That might help him come around if he doesn't already. Based on what you said, you weren't exactly in a calm situation so it's possible he could have just said that to be spiteful at the time. :slight_smile: Maybe just letting it sit with him for a bit may change his thoughts. :slight_smile: Sorry that it had to happen that way though but congrats on being able to come out with it. :slight_smile: That took strength! So good work! :slight_smile:

4. AndreaD89

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I need some advice ive had this secret hidden from family for years since i was little maybe around 12 years old started to wear my sisters clothes because i was in a house of all girls and wanted to look beautiful and be treated the same but never told them but even as akid was dressed up by my relatives in dresses now im 23 years old and wanting to come out as who i really am but dont know how

5. Thanks, keeping my fingers crossed and yes that did take strength lol. My parents got divorced years ago so it will be a while before I get to tell my mom. I want to tell her face to face, not over the phone. Um, yeah it is possible seeing a therapist isn't a bad idea, and I was kind of considering it before he told me to, but I was considering it for different reasons than why he told me to see one. His had a very negative vibe to it, to see one to "fix" my problem. Mine wasn't like that...

And Andrea, how do you think people will react? Who do you know that would probably accept it or deny it? Figure that out before you plan out what to do next, because that's what I did and it worked... somewhat. I told my closest friends who I was pretty sure wouldn't have a problem with it, and I was right. I basically took the easy step first, now I'm starting to take the hard steps. Good luck!