1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out over text

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by freedom200, Aug 31, 2013.

1. freedom200

freedom200 Guest

so, the other day i came out to my friend. over text!! :bang: I know, i heard it a billion times before. "you should never come out over text." :eusa_naug well too f :***: ing bad, i did. anyways, he was perfectly accepting of me being bisexual but a part of me thinks that it might not have been him talking to me. should I maybe ask to meet up sometime, just to make sure he knows? or forget it and move on in my life? i honestly don't know what to do now
    help

---------- Post added 31st Aug 2013 at 06:51 PM ----------

oh, and i forgot to mention im kinda crushing on him, like, bigtime. should i also have told him i like him ?

btw,

he might be gay/ bi so if i tell him it could work out well for me :icon_wink

#1 freedom200, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2013
  2. The Dude

Hey, congrats on coming out!

My friends and I use text a lot to communicate, and often share emotional stuff over text...we are products of our generation, and I have come out to four people using text messaging and I'd do it again. Don't let anyone else tell you how to come out.

I don't think it'd be wise to jump the gun and tell him you're crushing on him...I know what it's like to crush on a friend and it sucks. If he does turn out gay/bi, then good for you, by all means go for it, but perhaps he isn't ready to, or is quite simply straight. Don't take a chance telling him if you can't be certain, at least not yet.

And if you're not sure you read the text and understands you are bi, then I'd just bring it up again casually and ask him how he feels about it. I did this with my friends and even my dad a few days after they found out, just simply asked them what they thought about it. It'll help clear the air.

Again, congrats on coming out, you're very brave and should be super proud of yourself. I hope I've shared some valuable advice for you...good luck with the situation.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think it's fine. I wouldn't go back and have a chat with him. It's most likely just fears playing havoc. Relax, he knows and is okay with it. :slight_smile:

I'd agree with the above poster. Don't talk to him about it just yet - if you ever need to. Crushes come and go. As you continue coming out, you'll get to know also others, and chances are that over time, your crush on him will lessen.

Now, if you feel that he might not be straight himself, that's fine; however I wouldn't do anything that could push him into a corner then. Be his friend, and show him that being yourself is totally fine. If he isn't straight, he'll tell you, when he is ready, on his own time.

4. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did it by text too. I did feel like it was a cop out but it was actually fantastic. I don't see why we should have to do it face to face, there's no hard and fast rules, and it's only important to us not the other person so it's not like we owe it to them or anything. Well done anyway :slight_smile:

5. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I did it by text as well, and they took it great! I wanted to do it in person, but circumstances arose where I wanted to tell them swiftly (before someone else possibly would).... I would definitely bring it up in person as well!

6. withoutApaddle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All of mine have been by text or e-mail. It's the only way I can do it. I can't verbally put the words together. And 100% success so far.

7. lovely lesbian

I came out over text to a few people