1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did it!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by hitgirl, Sep 8, 2013.

1. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wrote a 'coming out' text earlier today. Deleted it. Did some housework. Came on this forum. Rewrote the text. Had a nap. Woke up and looked at the text again.

Told myself that no matter when I did this, it would be scary, there was no point waiting until it felt easy because that time wouldn't come and I could spend my whole life hiding who I was and pretending to be straight.

Stared at the text on my phone for a long, long time. Eventually typed one friend's name into it. Then held my finger over the 'send' button for a long time. My finger accidentally brushed against the button, but it didn't send.

Then I just did it.

After, I burst out laughing. It was such a relief. Still felt scared, but now it was excited anticipation rather than anxiety.

My friend rung me back and was completely cool about it, it was amazing. He asked why I'd been so worried and said I should be true to myself and f**k anyone who thought there was anything wrong with being bi. I don't know why, but I'd been expecting some doubt over whether I was really bi, or them freaking out a bit that I'd been bi all along and they didn't know, but he was just totally supportive and fantastic.

I had thought text was a cop-out in a way, but it was just so hard to say it out loud I figured I'd make it a bit easier on myself and at the same time give people some time to figure out how to react. Looks like it was the right decision because it worked out great.

It's weird. Before I came out, I didn't know whether I was going to have one of those horrible stories about a bad reaction from someone as my 'coming out story'. The best scenario I could imagine was an ambivalent or neutral reaction, but I told myself that even if they reacted badly, I could handle it. Actually, it was better than anything I came up with in my imagination. I can't stop crying because I'm so overwhelmed by how fantastic it was.

Thanks to the few people who gave me support on here this past week while I was trying to get the courage to come out. This morning I was aiming to just ring a helpline and now I've come out to an actual person and sent a text to a second. So happy!! (!)

2. lovely lesbian

3. Holly

Congratulations! That's a big step, well done!

4. wittyusername

Awesome, congrats!! (!!)

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations (!)

6. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone, the second friend I texted was really supportive as well so am buzzing right now. Two down, everyone else to go... :slight_smile:

7. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The beginning is the hardest part. (speaking someone who is out to only one person...)
    Congrats (!)

8. Skov

That's awesome!! Funny story, I had a message all typed out and the number of a friend entered and I was actually trying to click in the text box to erase the message, but I accidentally hit send! But it went super well for me too!! Congrats!!

9. Ohhai

Well done!

10. awphocute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  11. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone. Lol, skov! Glad you hit it by accident, maybe your subconscious giving you a shove :slight_smile:

12. Skov

That's the way I look at it :slight_smile: