1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my bro!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Praetor, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Praetor

I've not been out to any family member yet, and only really out to a few close friends. I decided to take a huge step (for myself at least) today and came out to my brother. He took it well, very non-chalant and cool about it.

I know this type of things has probably been posted thousands of times but I'm pretty happy right now :grin:

I think at this point I'm feeling so good I think I'm ready to go public on fb on National Coming Out Day perhaps... any of you have any direct or indirect experience with this by chance?

2. Sayu

Congrats!!! :slight_smile: My brother was the first of our family that I told and I, too, felt it was a huge step for me! :slight_smile:

3. Fiddledeedee

It's always new and great for every person, no matter how many have posted such stories before. Congrats, and I'm glad he was cool about it! :eusa_grin:

My sister and I both came out (independently) on Facebook on Coming Out Day. Her notice was short, mine was long. It worked out fine for both of us; several "likes" and a couple positive comments. Post something about it being Coming Out Day -- you can share a link about it and append "I'm bi" -- so that it's not so out of the blue, and it's probably best to invite private messages if people want to discuss, because debates in comments can go sour quickly.

I hope it continues going well for you!

4. Praetor

Thanks! :slight_smile:

And thanks for the advice, Fiddledeedee. I'll keep it in mind!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your brother! Glad it went so well! :slight_smile:

6. Holly

I decided to change my facebook 'interested in' one day. So I changed and just posted 'Well, it's facebook official...'. Knowing people would think I was dating someone, it would lead them to my about me page. Right below the 'Relationship Status', there is the 'Interested in', so I hope people saw it.

Since then, I've posted pictures of my pride bracelet and stuff, so I guess people have gotten the picture. I didn't even mean to do it so subtly, it just happened that way. I didn't really want to do a big 'announcement' on facebook anyway.

I'd just make sure you've told the people you want to tell personally before you post it on facebook.