1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A whirlwind outing! Unexpected to say the least.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by InLove, Sep 21, 2013.

1. InLove

I had an unusual evening yesterday...

I've been with my girlfriend for three years next month, and still haven't managed to tell anyone about us, even though we are now househunting for a place together. Her family and friends know, but mine do not - or if they have ever suspected they have not said so. I'm terrified of what people think, I don't want to be, but I've had it drilled into me since I was little. Appearances matter, and all that.

My love is ridiculously patient with me and usually it's no big deal, but I know it bothers her and occasionally she'll get upset and say she feels like she doesn't exist. I hate this and I want to be able to show her how happy I am to have her, and how proud I am of loving her.

So... I started a new job on Monday and yesterday was the last day of my first week. Just as I was packing up my things to leave, the buzzer went. My boss was in a conference call so I answered the door, and in whisked a tiny, colourful whirlwind of a woman. It turned out she was a friend staying with him while she took a weekend course in London and stopping by so they could go out for dinner.

We hit it off well, she'd be hard not to like I think, and we got chatting in the kitchen while he was getting ready to go out. I told her that I was in the process of moving but am "staying with my friend" until we find a place and told her where we're looking.

She said, "I have a friend there! She runs a yoga studio, you should go, she's lovely, you'd love it there!" and I said, "Oh, we were actually planning on looking for yoga classes once we're settled, I'll have to look the studio up."

She asked, "Who's 'we'"?

I froze and said, "......pardon?"

She said, "Who's 'we'? Are you in a relationship?"

I said, "..... pardon?"

She said, "Are you single? Are you in a relationship?"

I shook my head, then nodded, then shook my head, then realised I was finally going to have to tell someone and nodded.

She said, "With your friend?" and I nodded, "With a man?" and I shook my head, "With a girl?" and I nodded slowly.

She said, "Well why didn't you just say that? Be true to yourself! You can just say, "I'm living with my girlfriend, be honest with yourself!"

Somehow everything became hilarious then, I have no recollection of most of what was said, I just know we both laughed a lot, and she said, "Three years you've been hiding this?!" and I nodded and we both laughed a lot more for some reason, and I got a little teary and I could see she did too, and she said, "You should just have a tshirt that says, 'I'm a lesbian, and I'm proud of it!!' " and we both laughed some more.

Then my boss walked in. He said, "What are you laughing about?"

She asked me, "Does he know?" and I shook my head, and she told him, "It's womens stuff." and wouldn't tell him and we laughed a bit more.

But then she said to me, "You should begin your training, tell him." and said to him, " Do you want to know why we're laughing?" and said to me, "Begin your training." and I said, "Uh........" and she said, "Begin your training." and I said, "Uhhhhh......" and she said, "Begin your training."

So I said, "Well..... she's noticed the fact that no one's thought to mention before... which is that my friend B, is.... my girlfriend B.... that weekend I can't work next month is our anniversary."

He said, "Oh, well that's no big deal."

And she said, "They've been together three years!"

And he replied with, "Well done." followed by, "I was in a gay relationship once." and proceeded to completely upstage my drama by telling us about how in his days at Cambridge he was in a relationship with the fiancee of the woman who was later his wife for 19 years!

He said he would talk to me more about it on Monday, and off they to get to their dinner reservation. She hugged me goodbye and I said it was nice to meet her and she told me to "be myself", and I caught the train home to tell my girlfriend about my evening - she's thrilled of course.

I'm relieved to have my secret at least a little out in the open. Being able to be honest with my boss will make things so, so, so much easier for me, and will hopefully help me get used to talking to people about it and able to tell more people.

And that is the very long and detailed story of how a complete stranger guessed and asked in ten minutes what not one of my friends has thought to ask in three long years.

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

That is so AWESOME!!!!!!

3. InLove

Hehe, it is rather! It took my knees a little time to stop wobbling from shock afterwards, but it was such a relief!

Especially because all through the day it had been on my mind due to a conversation I'd had with my girlfriend the night before. It just couldn't have been better timing for a firm but friendly kick into the open.

4. BooksJeansTea

I LOVE this story!!! Congrats on everything!!

5. GirlWhoWaited

That's WONDERFUL. Congratulations on both your anniversary and getting one foot out the closet door. I'm so happy for you. :slight_smile:

6. Mysz

Wow! Very surprising! Turned out perfectly- you were kept from stalling and forced out in a very nice, funny way. :grin:

7. magic

I love her reaction

8. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is a great reactions! Congrats! I was LMAO the entire time while reading! Haha :slight_smile:

9. EverythingWeBecome

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh my god!!!This is sooo awesome!!I'm so happy for you!!!

10. Ohhai

Aww that's lovely!

11. BiDad3

InLove, what an amazing coming out story! Congratulations!

It just serves as a reminder that sometimes we live in such fear - wondering what others will think, do or say - that we become prisoners to our own truth. And look how easily these shackles were removed. Awesome and inspiring!

12. 2112

That's probably the best coming out story I've ever read (*hug*)
    Wow, that must have been complicated! :lol:

13. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Great! I just came out too this week to 2 people in my family. I think the next people will be with my colleagues. I almost blurted it out yesterday, but just held it back. I'm kind of goal orientated so I may try later this week or by Oct 11. Yeah, super goal orientated. But kind of understand the work thing.

It's great for you because you have a partner. For me having a partner proves that you're gay. ;-) If you don't have one, it's like, "I'm gay!... but yeah I don't have any proof." If that makes any sense at all. So you're lucky in that way. Thanks for sharing. Awesome story.

14. kibeth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow!! This is the most beautiful story, I'm so proud of you! Hope this gives you courage for the next time you need to come out.
    And congratulations!!