1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just did it... feeling surreal

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by oddlife35, Sep 23, 2013.

1. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The universe made me do it.

OK I don't totally believe in the universe making me do anything, but everything was just too perfect for me to pass up the opportunity to out myself to my sister and brother-in-law tonight.

"There's been something I want to talk to you guys about..." Then blah, blah, blah. I thought I'd be man enough to use the word "gay" but I wasn't. But they got the point somehow. And then our whole conversation just felt surreal, but very good.

I've been waiting for this moment for so long, it's crazy. Just wanted to share this moment.

2. Praetor

Congrats! Seems like this month is a month of coming out for a bunch of us :slight_smile:

3. Ohhai

Aww well done :slight_smile: xx

4. method

Well done, proud of you!

5. penguin machine

Surreal is exactly the word to use. There's nothing that quite captures that sense of openness, when you've let those words out and people around you are starting to react. Congratulations on finding the time and courage to do it. I hope the next stages of this journey are uplifting and exciting. It gets a little easier every time :slight_smile:

6. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for your encouragement all.

Yes, it does go in STAGES. Now that I've told a couple family members, I'm not sure who I should make sure to tell next. I've just started grad school and we've gotten pretty close in our class. I'm almost ready to just burst out, but not just yet. They all think I'm straight, so feel more awkward the more I wait to tell them. But yeah, just doesn't feel right yet. I'm not sure exactly why, but I want to wait until Coming Out Day (Oct 11). It just feels weird. If no one straight up asks you if you're gay, then it's weird for me to just offer up the information. But if it's a special day, then that just seems more appropriate. But again, even my lesbian friend in my class doesn't know and actually she's looking for gay people in our department!

I feel like bursting out and telling her, but I'm just hesitating for some odd reason!

Part of it might be that I haven't told close family members (my other sister) yet. So I feel a little bad that others outside the family will know before her. Or is that just an excuse? I do feel more ready to tell my friends in school then my other sister though. Hmm... Mulling, whining, blah.