1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my older sister

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by throw, Sep 29, 2013.

1. throw

So I decided that I was going to come out to my sister when she came up to visit me this weekend. I was really nervous because I didn't know how she was going to take it.

I waited until pretty much the last possible minute to do it. We were getting ready for bed and she was flying out early in the morning.

So I said, "I need to talk to you about something."

She said, "What? Women? Men? Children?" I took this to mean that she knew what I wanted to talk about, but later I asked her and she said she was just being silly.

"Women."

"What about women?"

I usually take a super long time spitting out the words, but I set my world-record for coming out by just saying "I identify as bisexual."

And in the biggest surprise of my life, she said, "...well, I already knew that so..."

My face = :eek:

Apparently, she had been getting "vibes" from me since high school (which is funny because I was oblivious to the signs until freshman year of college). She also thought I was a lesbian and didn't have any interest in men at all.

She's not entirely convinced that it's not a choice and she's not sure how I even really know without having any experience. I didn't do a very good job of explaining it, but I managed to point out that she knew she was straight before having any experience. She wasn't really buying it, but I'm not really stressed about that. Now that she knows, we have time to work on everything else.

We talked about my parents. She thinks coming out to my mom would not go well and I agree. If and when that happens, it's going to be a sh*t show. But we both agreed that she would eventually come around. I asked my sister if she would meet my future significant other and come to my wedding and she said of course.

All in all, it went a lot better than expected. Now that it's all out in the open, I feel like I can change her perceptions about certain things. Even though I'm surprised that she knew, I'm happy that she did because we don't have to deal with any weirdness. The only thing that's changed is now I'm in on the secret too :lol:

#1 throw, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    congratulations! That's great news, I am so happy for you!
    Do you plan on telling your mother someday then, knowing she'll take it badly?

3. Ohhai

Congratulations cxx

4. Skov

Congrats!

5. throw

Thanks, everybody :slight_smile:

I do, I'm just not sure when. I don't think it makes any difference if I do it now or five years from now. Her reaction will probably be the same. But if she will eventually come around, then I might as well do it sooner rather than later. Still haven't decided what I want to do.