1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Road of Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Trumpetplyer23, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Trumpetplyer23

Well, I realized that I haven't told my entire coming out story to anyone at all and I think this would be a good place...Anywho, here we go. It's long, so be patient, and tell me what you think.

It all started when I was in the seventh grade (I was 12). In my gym class, there was a girl. She's a year older than me, making her 13 at the time. She was very pretty, at least in my opinion. Because of her, I realized I was bi. I had a few weeks of mental torment (what am I going to do, who can I tell?) that sort of stuff. Eventually though, I came to terms, and told my best friend at the time. She was fine with it.

I fell apart when the school year ended, because the girl I liked was going into high school and I was stuck in middle school hell. So I turned into someone I'm not proud of, that I wish I could change, but I can't.

During that summer, I went a trip with a bunch of other kids, minus my parents. I had decided it was time to come out to my mom. So I wrote her a note and told her not to read it until I got on the plane. She kept to that, and I could rest easy.

The next two coming outs were my two best friends on that trip. I came out to them in a hotel room and they were okay with it. We stayed up all night and talked about it. Also, I pretty much came out to the rest of the people on the trip because I showed them lyrics to a song (that I wish I could find) about coming out and they loved it.

I got back from that trip, still depressed because of the girl I cared about so much. I didn't see her at all over the summer, all I had was a few words scribbled in my yearbook and a blurry picture.

Eventually, tensions erupted at my house. I was arguing with my dad as usual, and I told him out of pain and anger. This one didn't go so well. He asked me who told me I was bi. Which friend was bi and why I was following them. He told my mom and she acted like she didn't know, to avoid conflict, because my dad loves to argue.

The next school year, my eighth grade year (I was thirteen), I came out to quite a few people, including two of my teachers. The one I came out to in an essay about humanity and differences in people. She's horribly homophobic, but she had to swallow it or risk getting reprimanded. I pretty much hated this teacher, so I crammed her beliefs back in her face. My other friends were okay with it, including one who was also bi.

My "glorious" reign came to an end after a joke I tried to crack and my friend got offended. Even after I told her it was a joke and apologized many times, she wouldn't take it. I figured that if she couldn't take a joke or accept my apology and move on like an adult (she is older than me, by two years!) then I didn't need her as a friend.

I came out to my first guy friend. Which was big for me, I guess because I've always hung out around guys. He was perfectly fine with it, and even requested to see the girl I'd been crushing on for such a long time. Even odder, I fell for this girl on his birthday.

Eighth grade ended and I was about to become a freshman (making me fourteen) in high school (!).

However, because of the fight that tore my group apart, I didn't have very many friends. So I was off to summer band practice to make more friends. One of the people there was the girl I liked. She was always very friendly to me, making it all the harder to sit next to her.

School started. I had come out to my new friends, one of which has about 10 bi/gay friends. Things didn't go as wonderfully as I planned, though, I was eventually outed to the entire grade ahead of me because of a few foolish choices. I haven't gotten *much* crap from people, because most of them are pretty accepting and whatnot. But there are a few I've gotten crap from.

Next, I came out to my second closest guy friend. He was okay, only he had this to say "I wish you were gay". It seems kind of mean or whatever, but he's only joking.

After that, I came out to my best friend/crush. She was fine with it, cracking a few jokes and walking with me out to the bus to show she didn't care. She did care when I told her how I felt, and we've never been the same.

I came out to my friend/enemy, she was fine with it, and even kept it secretive. We're only enemies in the sense that we make in front of each other.

Then a new girl came to my school. She seemed to be attracted to me in every sense of the word. However, she's not, which I'm fine with because I don't like her that way. I came out to her in the last week of school. She didn't care, her best friend from her other school is bi too. She did tell me that she thought I was cute, though.

Yeah, that's my entire coming out story.. I don't think I missed anything important. Thanks for reading.

2. ccdd

ccdd Guest

That's really cool - I can't believe you're so OUT! It's interesting, because you realised about the same time I did - about 12ish - but we reacted in entirely different ways, and you actually had the courage to come out to your mum soon afterwards! (I have no idea how you managed to do that; to me, it was just impossible, and I went into complete denial). I'm also amazed that you were out through school - I didn't know anyone who was out at school, and the idea would have terrified me!

Sorry about how your dad reacted, though. Is he ok now? I think that parents do try and blame things they don't like on their child's peer group! But I'm just astounded at how, I don't know, confident you seem to have been - to be able to come out to your mum at that age! Not to say that I don't think it was hard, just that it seems so incredibally brave. But congrats!

3. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow that's awesome! :slight_smile: Wish I had a story as interesting as that, but no...

Congratz!! :grin:

4. Trumpetplyer23

I was around homosexuality at a young age, my mom has a gay nephew and several gay friends she went clubbing with. That is a fun story for another time. So I knew she was okay with it.

As for being out at school, my neighbor is gay and he came out to school, he's like four years older so he graduated before I could get into high school.

Meh, I was kind of expecting my dad to react that way, and we've never really discussed the subject, except for one heated debate in which he hinted I was going to burn in hell for being bi and Buddhist...Then I told him that he would be reincarnated as a cow... My dad and I aren't always on speaking terms except for sports and music, which also ends up in a debate, but just not as heated.

I kinda knew I had to come out to my mom, because she would have found out anyways.

Being compeletely out to school wasn't exactly my choice, it just kind of happened, but oh well. That's just how I look at it, it doesn't hinder my ability in the classroom or anywhere else.

Thanks for the Congrats though. Most people don't want to listen to (or read) a long coming out story.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's an interesting story. Congratulations on being so out. It took a lot of courage to get to the point where you are. Congratz!!