1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out story that might inspire other people to come out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Kittie, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Kittie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi, I am not gay or anything, Im a straight girl but I would like to share my best friend's recent coming out, first off let me give you some backround info. See, we live in a pretty small town, in which everyone knows eachother and everyone goes to church. We attend a Catholic school in which again, is small so everyone knows everyone and thier bissness. We have always been taught about the bible and if youre gay you'll go to hell and blah blah. Okay back to my friend, Tyler was first person Ive met when I first came to this town and as I got to know him, I realised he seamed different than other guys at school, he was nicer, really shy in public and kind of had this childlikeness, innocese to him, but thats what I liked about him, I had a crush on him for a while. Then one day we were at lunch and he was talking about some guy from the field hockey team, and how he that he couldnt stop starring at him in history class and I was like, "why is that?", he kind of laughed and said under his breath "cause Im gay, obviosly" I thought he was joking so I didnt say anything about it. then a few days later, we were in my backyard and I asked him if he really meant what he said, And he said he did and has been feeling like this since sixth grade, he also said he liked that field hockey guy. (whos really loud and obnoxious, btw) Then I find out that the people in the group we sit with at lunch already knew! Somone said it was "kinda obvious" and for a while I was mad because we were together all the time and I thought I knew everything about him, but I got over that. He then came out to his mom but it didnt go too well, theyre religous christains, she just said that he better hope his father didnt find out and never to talk about it again, he still hasnt come out to his dad. Now, he has a boyfriend but keeps it a secret from his family. But I think his mom knows because we were going to the V day's dance as dates, his mom was driving us, and she said somthing like "how long are you gonna keep up this charade?" But for the most part everyone got used to it, and it wasnt as probamatic as he wouldve thought. Moral of the story if you know you are gay, you should come out, Tyler is a happier person because of it. yes, you will probably lose friends (who whats that kind of friends anyways)and thier will be people that dont like you soley because youre gay. In our neighborhood theres a group of people (these wannabe gangtaz) that harass Tyler and somehow they got ahold of his email and flooded his inbox with "faggot!" pathetic. But wouldnt you rather be yourself instead of what society dictates what you should be? Allthough, I should say if you live in a really bad neighborhood or something you might want to keep things low key, seriously cause that shit is dangerous. sorry if this post is long Im kind of a wannabe author.:icon_bigg

2. tired_of_lying411

Welcome! It's great to see a supportive straight member!

I'm glad your friend is happy, and that he had the courage to come out, despite his situation. Commendable!

Those stories of religious matters causing parents to act so terribly to their children just make me furious!... I can't imagine being able to treat my own family like that, just because of what some religion says.

Hope all goes well and, again, welcome!

3. Radie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I am glad for your friend...my parents (OK, mostly dad) was a religious person and made my life hell...it was insane some of the things they will tell you to try and curb the "wrong" feelings kids, teens, adults may have inside...to me that just makes a person fester and one day they are gonna blow...good for you Tyler! And good for you for being his friend!

4. Kittie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you teirdoflying411 my thoughts exactly!

Radie- Oh, I know what you mean my dad definatly made my life hell with his religon. I dont think it just affects gay people (yeah I know it MOSTLY affects gay people) but in my house my dad "banned" all these things he deamed as "from the devil" make up, heavy metal/goth/punk music and clothes most mainstream tv/movies, so we could only watch christain things. Im so glad he's out of my life now, allthough I have to admit Veggie tales and Adventures in Odessy are quite entertaing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

First, always nice to have a striaght ally.

And i'm sorry to hear about your zealot dad. Sounds sucky, the "only xian things" part i mean. lol