1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wedding purgatory

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ilovebears, Oct 19, 2013.

1. ilovebears

Before I moved to a different state on my own, my mom's side of the family didn't know I am gay. I didn't want to keep it a secret, but my mom was not comfortable with that being known at the time.

I met up with the man I was talking to online after my move. We officially became a couple then.

A month or so ago, I set up a blog that shows what I'm up to... and heavily dropping hints that I have a boyfriend. NOBODY picked it up, and nobody asked me about him. Eventually, I told my mom to let people know if they ask anything about who he is (she was comfortable about me by then).

So, she told her two closest sisters... and I think their husbands know, too. So, I figured that more people would know about that. And maybe they do!

I went back for my cousin's wedding last weekend, where I'd see all of my family... so I was ready for any questioning from anybody, especially those who'd know! And I would definitely not shy away from the topic.

Unfortunately, nobody said anything the entire weekend! They asked about how life is and all of that... but there was never even anything we talked about that would make sense to mention him in (or even about just being gay). And I'm not one to force conversations.

Although I'm happy with not making a big deal out of it, it still would have been nice to not have that be a question anymore. I'm sure everyone will know soon enough!

2. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally know what you mean! They probably just didn't want to make a big deal. I keep trying to drop my sexuality into conversation too but it seems like I just keep missing really obvious opportunities while my mouth just keeps talking in gender neutral ways and everyone undoubtably imagines I'm talking about men! Keep at it, we'll get there :slight_smile: