1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Coming Out Story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by frostedflakes, Oct 22, 2013.

1. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello! I just want to first let you know that this is my first real post (minus my introduction post) and I want to share with you my coming out story and how my experience was.
    I will first tell you a little bit about how I realized that I have an attraction for men. When I was in my last year of high school, I had a little ``crush`` you could say, on one of my classmates. I found his hair to be really hot and attractive, and, I really liked him. I then started finding other guys attractive, and when I was in the locker room in gym class, I would be so nervous because I was looking at guys, but I didn`t want anyone to know that I was attracted to other guys. It just escalated from there, and I haven`t look back. I am into guys.
    I come out to both of my parents when I was going home from work. I came out to them on two separate nights. They both are okay with it, but, they are not necessarily enthusiastic about it. They just want me to stay safe and be careful of my surroundings.

I have questions for the readers (only answer if you are comfortable):
    1. When did you first come out and how do it feel for you? Who was the first person that you came out to, and why did you decide that this person was the first person you would come out to?
    2. If you haven't come out yet, what do you imagine coming out to be like?
    3. For those of you who have come out, what advice would you give to someone who is
    scared of coming out?

Thank you, and I look forward to the responses,
    JandDForever

2. UIOP

1) I came out a couple of months ago to my mum (and then to my dad). I decided to talk to my mum because we're really close and she's always assured me that she will love me unconditionally and would support me in whatever I choose to do. I took that as an invitation. It felt really good... she then changed her mind and starting verbally attacking me for a bit after that but then she stopped and it feels good again :slight_smile:

3) If you are certain that you want to come out to someone but just can't pluck up the courage to say it, here's my advice. You'll never know how someone will react until they do so don't worry about it too much. Just approach them, sit them down and gently tell them what they need to know. Sometimes just saying 'I'm gay' (or whatever) is enough.

3. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations on coming out :slight_smile:. I think that is really good advice to give to someone :slight_smile:.

4. lovely lesbian

The first person I came out to was a friend I came out to her because I knew she woundt judge me it was really scary though x

5. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, it can definitely be scary coming out. But, it makes us a stronger person in the end.

6. hichat

I came out to my whole family few months ago which I didn't really plan and thought that I will actually do that. I had a really tough time (I guess the toughest time) and it forced me to came out which it makes me feel better now.

Well to those who are still not out to anyone, if you think that you'll feel better after coming out then just do it. Be brave for one time and you'll feel better for the rest of your life. :slight_smile:

7. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First of all, congratulations on coming out! How was your overall coming out experience? How did it feel?

8. hichat

It was scary during the process. I will never want to think back what happened on that day! But I feel much better now. It's like a big rock lifted out from my chest. Before I came out I feel guilty when I get attracted to male celebrities on movies and shows but not now. So I guess it's an improvement, isn't it? (*hug*)

9. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, it is definitely an improvement. You have done something that not all people get to do. That is come out. Some people would get killed if they came out.

10. hichat

Why would they? Do you mean there's some kind of provision in the law that prohibits homosexuality? Actually I don't really get it...why there are such ridiculous prohibitions and the worst is death sentence which is absolutely insane! We didn't get to choose our sexuality and I don't think anybody deserves that punishment.

11. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In some countries, you are killed if you are gay.

12. Techno Kid

1. I firstly came out as to my parents, but they did not think I knew what Bisexual meant or something (because I have Learning Disabilities). Maybe I was not ready anyway. Then in college I kissed a boy and liked it... so I came out to my cousin who has a few LGBT friends and she still loves me. After I came out to a few other people I came out to my mom. She was worried for my safety, but still accepted me. I have not come out to my dad, but I think he knows.

2. Have not really come out to anyone as Genderqueer (Androgyne to be specific) yet. I'm still not 100% sure if I am yet... I just kinda realized not too long ago..
    I think I'll come out to a staff member at college I am close to. :slight_smile: I think she will be great (she is a lesbian after all)! lol

3.Do a lot of self reflection and choose someone you think will be cool with it when you come out first. *hugs*

13. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations on coming out! I have a learning disability too! If you don't mind me asking, what learning disability do you have/
    I accept you just the way you are. You are a beautiful person, just the way you are. Well, I wish you the best of luck in coming out to that teacher!
    Hugs! :slight_smile:

14. Techno Kid

I am not totally sure.. I've always been told it's a general learning disability, so basically a bit of everything I think, but don't quote me on that.
    awww thanks Dan!! (*hug*)

15. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, just to let you know, I have ADHD, anxiety, and a bit of depression. I also have a learning disability. So, I know how you feel. Don't worry, I won't judge you.

16. Techno Kid

Thanks for opening up to me about that, I have ADD too, but I don't think it's considered a disability.

17. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You are welcome. Well, it is considered a mental illness disorder, or a mental health disorder.

18. Techno Kid

That sounds right.

19. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, but, it shouldn't define us, and we shouldn't make excuses about it, to get out of something.

20. hichat

I'm living in a country which is illegal for being gay. Jail but I'm not sure if there is death penalty.