1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Grandmother Understands! :D

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Juneberry, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Juneberry

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll admit, my coming out to my grandmother was a bumpy road- and it took a lot of mixed emotions and an emergency for things to work out. My grandmother is one of those somewhat traditional, stereotypical Jewish grandmothers: She shoves food at you and her main wish was that I'd marry a nice Jewish boy and have lots of kids. When I first realized I was interested in girls, I was very close with her and tried to come out to her- mind you, I was in my early teens. When I told her, she blew me off saying it was just a phase and I'd get over it easily and marry a nice Jewish boy and the like. I was heartbroken, and I was too afraid to talk to her about relationships after that- which was annoying, since she was constantly asking me why I didn't have a boyfriend yet.

A year ago, though, things changed. My dad sort of forced it, though...Which is both annoying, but relieving. A year ago, when Hurricane Sandy hit, my grandmother and my houses were both without power for about two weeks. At first, while she stayed at a hotel, my dad and I tried to brave it out without the lights or heat. After a week though, since my dad needs a c-pap, we finally got my grandmother to let us join her at the hotel.

One day at the hotel, my dad noticed I'd found a receptionist downstairs cute. He already knows my orientation, and also can tell when I find a girl attractive easily. Apparently on purpose, he talked about it with me somewhat loudly, knowing my grandmother was about to join us in our shared hotel room. She came in as we were talking about it, and when I tried to get him to stop, he told her straight out that I was upset still over what happened years ago.

Well, I got a run around- at first she said it never happened, but then she admitted what happened and apologized for hurting my feelings. In the end, she gave me a hug and told me she was proud of me no matter what, and she was glad I was willing to stand up to her about it. She's fully accepting of it now, and just pushes the idea of me having kids one day that I can raise with my partner when I find a girl I really like (hey, it's a nice change even if it still is awkward that way, right?).

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have a great Dad, and your grandmother wants your happiness. She'll be shepping nachus the moment you introduce your partner. :grin:

3. Techno Kid

Congrats on having a great dad and grandma!! :grin:

4. BiPenguin

That is so good of your Dad to stand by you for that. And good your Grandmother has come to accept you for who you are.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So good to hear your family is supportive! Mazel tov!

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great story of acceptance as well as coming around. It is wonderful that your grandmother apologized, accepts you, and wants you to be happy.

7. Juneberry

Out Status:
    Some people
    It is :grin: My dad actually knew before I told him, so it's easy to deal with when he's around. I think that was probably the easiest coming out ever, while coming out to my grandmother was rather hard...But very worth it!

Normally I don't like my family much (aside from my dad) because it's common for them to be loud and obnoxious and mean. But...At that moment, all I could think was "I'm so lucky to have a nice family like this one." Too bad things went back to the usual rambunctious nonsense after that xD

8. lovely lesbian

Congrats! Xxx

9. confused1234

You have a really great dad. :slight_smile:

10. GirlWhoWaited

Your dad is a bada$$. Seriously. Congrats on your dad being made of awesome, and on your grandmother finally getting it. I wish my family was that accepting. :slight_smile:

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not just an acceptance, but an actual turnaround? I am really impressed by that phenomenal grandma. Credit to dad too for being on your side, as involuntary as his support was XD.

12. Juneberry

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it was actually pretty surprising. At first I was mad she denied it happening, but still, the fact that she finally accepted it was really a relief. Though she drives me nuts in many ways, I couldn't ask for a better grandmother (well, I can, but...) overall.

And yes, my dad is made of awesome. He won't accept that at this stage, but he really is. He's sorta like my mom and dad put together, so...For me, it's sorta like two people accepting me as is. We have a pretty unique relationship though, since we can talk about how hot the actresses are together while watching TV or something. xP