1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

came out again, and this time it wasn't planned

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by purplekitty, Nov 2, 2013.

1. purplekitty

So I came out to my younger sister (age 10) because of my big blabber mouth. Oops?

How the subject came up is not important, and besides, I can't exactly remember how it happened. Anyway, we somehow got on the subject of sexual attraction and I told her I don't feel it. And then I felt like I had to explain. Thanks to sex ed, she already knows what sex is, so that made it easier. And so I talked to her about sexual orientation, romantic orientation, and gender identity. Specifically, about hetero/homo/bi/asexuality, about trans* people and other genderqueer people, and about romantic orientation not always fitting sexual orientation. I even showed her some basic videos with terms and stuff. I don't know if I went overboard (we talked for about an hour), but since the subject came up, I decided to talk about it because I figured no one else would talk to her about this stuff because she's young and she's in a slightly conservative environment. I just think these subjects are really important and I would have liked it if someone had seriously talked to me about this stuff when I was her age.

The funny thing is that this wasn't planned AT ALL. I would not have picked my sister as the second person I came out to. But it just felt like it went with the conversation at the time and like I said earlier, once I started talking about it, I figured it was important enough to continue. Another reason could be that I once I start talking, I have a hard time stopping.

So there you go, I came out to my 10 year old sister as asexual and taught her a bunch of stuff about human sexuality and gender identity. I also told her that if she ever has any questions she is allowed to ask me and I'll help her to the best of my ability. I don't know if it's weird that I talked about this stuff but at the time it felt like a good idea.

2. GayTornado

:eusa_clap

What was her opinion on Homosexuals/Bisexuals/Asexuals/Transgender people though?

3. purplekitty

I'm not really sure honestly. :icon_conf She was pretty quite throughout the whole thing. I think that's because we were talking about *gasp* sex. She did seem interested though, and she didn't say what I was talking about was weird. That's what she said the last time I brought up Homosexuality (I brought it up because I was reading a book with a lesbian main character and it was great). She was interested enough to ask me questions about how gender identity would effect orientation. She was also proud when I told her she was only the second person I came out to. She said that she would like me to tell her when I figure out what my romantic orientation is (still working on that, which is why it's not in the description on the left). She didn't react negatively when I told her I might be bi/panromantic or aromantic. Eventually she started to loose interest, but I think that's because she's ten and I'm lucky I got her to pay attention for a whole hour.

So she didn't outright reject the ideas. She didn't show great enthusiasm either, but I think that's because we were talking about subjects that she's never really heard and there might be some imprinted awkwardness about subjects that society says don't follow the "norm". However, she did take me seriously, which I think is a good start to her learning.