1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out again, and it went great!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by purplekitty, Nov 9, 2013.

1. purplekitty

So I was on a road trip with my step-mom yesterday. (the step part is unimportant, but I'm using it to let you I haven't told my other mom yet) We were getting gas before we left and this person went jogging by. It was hard to tell what gender they were and my mom commented on this. She said they could be going through gender re-assignment surgery. This started us talking about LGBTQ+ issues. I took the opportunity to tell her that I had been researching this stuff for a while. I tested the waters by telling her about pansexuality (she'd never heard of that) and then I talked about asexuality. With each topic that I brought up, she was just so accepting! Each time she said something like "that's okay, that's just how some people are." When she said that about asexuality, I hesitated for about a second; I knew this was a great chance to come out, but I was also a tiny bit afraid (after all, I didn't know what her opinion would be if it was me) But I did it anyway. I said, "Well, since you've said that to me, I am asexual." :eusa_danc

She was really glad that I had discovered this part of myself and that I felt comfortable enough to tell her. Apparently, she had already guessed that I might be asexual when she met me at 5 years old! She said she just got this vibe off me.

I also told her that I'm agender/gender neutral. Of course she already knew that too, since that part of me is pretty obvious. I told her that I'm neutrois (although I didn't use the word because I don't know to pronounce it). She was pretty accepting of that too, and didn't show negativity when I said that I sometimes think about getting surgery.

She also confessed some stuff to me (that is private and won't be mentioned). From what I gathered, she seems to be demisexual. In other words, she seems to be on the asexual spectrum too! I asked her if she wanted me to send her some links to the things that I found while researching, and she said that she would be really interested. Hopefully she'll find out more about herself while she's reading.

So to sum up: I came out and she was really, really accepting. I'm really glad the subject came up, and I feel more connected to her because of it!

2. GayNerd

Great job! I'm glad she was accepting! :grin:

3. purplekitty

Thanks! :icon_bigg

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's wonderful that your step mom is supportive and that your feel you two have a stronger bond now. It's great that you went for it, and that she also shared something about herself, which I bet helps you as well. Well done. :slight_smile:

5. purplekitty

Thanks Mirko! Yeah, that sharing thing was great. I definitely feel more connected to her now. I also sent her some links about asexuality and she found them really interesting. I finally have someone who is interested in talking about this stuff! :icon_bigg She has also found out some stuff about herself after reading them. Now I feel really glad that I came out to her because I was able to help her realize stuff about herself that had been troubling her for years.