1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told my Dad today on the drive home

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by phoenix89, Nov 26, 2013.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today was the start of my Thanksgiving break from my University and it is normally a 45 minute drive, took over an hour and some because of the snow. Mind you, we were about 5 minutes, at most, away from campus when my Dad and I started talking about dating.

He knows that I do not date, and that I am focusing a lot of my energy on my school work since, I am in my second year of Graduate School. I mentioned that there are not a lot of attractive guys at my school and he laughed about it. Then I mentioned that there is a thing of Asexuality/Demisexuality, where people do not find others attractive, I basically just slid that into the conversation, and he said, and I quote, "It is probably a mixture of the two". I think my heart skipped a beat or two when he said that.

I knew he would be accepting since my Twin sister is a homoromantic asexual. I do not know if he knows that she is Ace, but does know that she is a lesbian, and yells at people, mainly in my family when they are not supportive of her.

It was just a relief that my Dad knows. And I love that he knew and accepted it without much discussion. I can't explain what a relaxing feeling it gave me.

2. DesertTortoise

There should be "like" options here.

3. fortheloveoflez

4. sysreq

the closest thing is 'quote'

anyways op very happy for you; glad your dad is a good parent :slight_smile:

5. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. He really is an amazing parent and I couldn't ask for a better Dad.

I know that he is struggling to trying understand how my roommate is a trans*guy, but even with that, he is still trying. My Dad has to break through the generational divide. But he does not care that we are friends or roommates. As long as we don't hate each other he could care less who I room with.

6. BiPenguin

Always good to have a supportive parent.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats on telling him! I'm glad that it went well! Hey, your drive was half of what mine normally is..lol. At least you made it home safely though...

He has gotten better about it. It can be hard to understand new things.. even more so when they are things like trans* related issues.

(PS... I totally hate you..lol :slight_smile:)

8. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, me too. I love that he said what he said, huge relief. Yea, even with the snow slowing us down it was fasters than yours. lol.

He has gotten better, I still think pronouns are going to be the hard part, especially considering he met you last year when you were still using "she" pronouns.

I know, I totally hate you too. lol :icon_wink

We are very weird.

#8 phoenix89, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013