1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally came out to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Emberstone, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Emberstone

Well, weeks ago, and my parents were basically "*shrug shoulders* those it matter?" and life is as normal as it was. basically, its my parents, and I havent told the rest of my family yet, but I am out atleast in part, I am just working my way through my family.

2. crimsonarcher

yes!
    congrats on it!
    good luck on the other family members!

3. Guilderen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations!!! :eusa_clap Parents seem to be the hardest so I'm really glad everything went so well for you. Keep us updated on how it goes for the rest of your family.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! :slight_smile:

5. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

Yay congrats

6. ausdtc

Congrats! You have awesome parents from the sound of it!

7. Emberstone

Apperently my brother and sister-in-law have been suspecting it for a while, so they will likely be the next to know. my grandmother on my mother's side is a little tricky. she is a very staunch conservative, and I definiatly do not want her to know before the vacation, mainly because this is likely going to be the last vacation we take as a family, as she is in her late seventies, and is starting to have problems, and so I would rather wait till after the vacation, also because I am greedy and I have been waiting for yellowstone for like ten years, expecially after having to cancel one yellowstone vacation because my brother was in debt.

I am going to have to work on a way to approch her about it, though my parents say she dosent need to know.

8. Louise

Yay to go for your parents! Maybe you need to discuss telling your grandma a bit more with your parents. Why do they say that maybe she doensn't need to know? If it would cause more upset than it is worth then you might like to consider.

I don't mean to be nasty here but this isn't just about you and your desire to 'Come out' and yes let the wrath of EC come down on me if people don't agree, you do also have to consider what good would telling a 70 conservative elderly person that you are gay? Will it make her happier, will it bring her joy or relief in the last years of her life? or will it just ease your concience? It does depend a bit the role your grandma plays in your life, this is your call after all. I am just trying to give another side of things.

Yes, I can understand the need to tell your parents to live your life fully and openly and not live a lie and I am all for honesty but sometimes honesty has a price and these things need to be weighed up.

9. skyoverland

Congratulations on your new found courage :slight_smile:

10. Emberstone

my mom just got off work for the summer, and so she is winding down from her post work stress, and so we are waiting till after vacation to tell my grandmother, mainly because my grandmother likes to yell, and usually, she blames my mom for things that have to do with me *mainly when she thinks im being treated unfairly* and we just want to be prepared before we tell her, so we are ready for any way she ultimately reacts.