1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally came out - to multiple people.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Jwis, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Jwis

I finally have started to come out to some people and it feels great.

My first one was not exactly how I planned. I was having some wine with my good friend and her husband. Well quite a bit of wine actually and wound up just blurting it out in a flood of drunken emotions (. She was like yeah... I pretty much knew. I was a little surprised I thought I put up a good facade. I was nervous the next time I saw her, but she was normal to me.

I wound up a few days later telling another one of my good friends from college. She was supportive to.. I think. I haven't spoken to her (besides a few texts) since we had lunch.

And when I was visiting my parents for Thanksgiving I told them. It almost didn't happen I was so nervous. My mom knew something was up and I told them. I wanted to do that for so many years. It was actually kind of anticlimactic. I don't know what I expected but to tell the truth I was kind of disappointed in what happened. They seemed supportive, but a bit distant. They have gay friends and have always been supportive of gay rights. I don't know quite what to make of it.

2. Heun

I'm glad that you're enjoying it.

Is it possible that your parents are somewhat apathetic towards it, in that they are supportive but are content to just let you do you, hence a not-so-strong reaction? Either way I'm happy to hear that they seem supportive.

3. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's wonderful that you are feeling great with coming out. Congratulations on your coming out journey thus far.

It could be that your parents just need a bit of time to let the news sink in. That said, I wonder if you had high expectations for a supportive/positive reaction from your parents as well, given that they have gay friends and are supportive of LGBT rights. And maybe this is where the feeling of them being distant is coming in.

5. Jwis

You're probably right. I think I was expecting a lot more then what happened. Not fretting on it to much, it is what it is.