1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out to My Counselor.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by IphisAndIanthe, Dec 7, 2013.

1. I just sent my counselor an email telling her that I'm gay. I wanted her to know for our next meeting, but I'm unable to tell her in person, so I decided sending an email beforehand would be a good idea. I hope that's not a weird thing to do. Anyway, I've sent it, and she'll know once she looks at her email. Hopefully talking to her about it will help me accept myself more so that I can feel comfortable coming out to more people.

2. sysreq

Congratz.

3. Pete1970

I actually told my therpist i was gay on the initial phone consultation before i was officially a client. It was a little hard telling her but felt good to tell her. Plus it made it easier for my first session that she already knew

4. That's good. I'm hoping it makes things easier for me as well.

5. william123

I don't personally have a trusting relationship with any counsellor. But if you can do that, power to you! When I first came out I did it in an e-mail too to my parents and sister, and then I posted on a popular social-networking site in very clear terms. I just find typing out your feelings a little less stressful and more doable than talking in person sometimes. I think that was probably a good thing for you to do, as it will prompt a conversation. Congrats.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't think it is a weird thing to do at all. Everybody has their own ways of feeling comfortable. It is great that you felt it was time to let your counsellor know and that you went ahead in sending her the e-mail. I'm sure that by having it out in the open, and starting to speak about being gay with her, will help you to start becoming more comfortable. Well done. :slight_smile:

7. Thanks. She's emailed me back, so I know she's read it. I'm glad I wrote her so I can talk about it with her now.

8. Silver Sparrow

9. hardhearts

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Congrats. I find telling my counselors/psychs to be very difficult, so I'm still closeted to them. I don't think it's weird to do, though. I wish I could, I think it would be very beneficial for me if I did, actually.