1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My bad coming out story....and re-coming out recently

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by bi dystopia, Dec 13, 2013.

1. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is my first post. Iv had this on my chest for a few years now and I hope this is the best place to talk about it and get advice as I have been very depressed about it. I am nearly 23 and from a white, non religious middle class family in a conservative english market town. This is about how i came out a while ago, and then again recently. Im sorry for the long read.

I first tried coming out as bi to my close friends when I was 17, having been worrying about it for years. We had had this tight-nit friends group for over 5 years so I assumed it would be fine. I didnt know how to bring it up so I discreetly changed my Myspace status to bi, and then when they asked I told them. Immediately they all stopped talking to me and suddenly I had no friends. They told other people and soon the whole of my sixth form knew and I had a miserable two years of A-levels. There were no other gay or bi people there, I would face barrages of negative comments every day, I was excluded from all social gatherings and parties and of course no girl would go out with me.

The problems with my parents started a few months later. I had tried to hide it from them as I assumed they would not take it well and i especially didnt want my Dad to find out. To this extent, I had tried to organize dates/hookups only with guys who lived at least 1 county away so that noone I knew might see me whilst I lied and said I was going shopping in the nearest city. One day I came home and my parents confronted me and told me they had read my diary (my Mum told my Dad having smashed the lock on my drawer, she gets angry at things being private) and knew everything Id been doing. It quickly became very violent and aggressive. My Mum told me I was sick and perverted, that she wished Id never been born and that I was no son of theirs anymore. They said that gay sex was wrong, immoral and the penetration could kill you (!!!) I was also called a pedophile (I should point out the other guys were 16-18), a freak, a whore and other horrible names over the next 2 years. I was reguarly punched, slapped, had my hair pulled (it was long then) spat on, kicked on the floor and had boiling coffee poured over me. I was also grounded forever, had the internet removed from the house and my phone locked away. My Mum would also start retching whenever she saw me, months later she ripped up the Mothers Day card I bought her and threw the chocolates I got her in the bin (I later got them out and ate them) and told me I was no son of hers. She also told me not to go near any food, drink or cooking equipment in the house because "you must have AIDS".

I became very depressed after this and started self harming, drinking heavily, smoking and taking drugs with some punk rockers I had met (I used to climb out of my bedroom window and jump off the bay window roof in the night when my parents had gone to bed, and go out to rock shows or to play at open mics).

A year later and I had started going out with a girl, but my Mum still acted the same way and said that "she must be just as sick as you if she is dating you", and eventually I was banned from the house and lived at the girls house for some time. Eventually I somehow managed to pass my A levels and get to Uni, so I have not been home that much since, although when I have, it has still been brought up and things have still been violent and tense. However, I have tried to suppress all memories and feelings of the past, although both have made me very depressed and lonely at Uni and I have been failing the last few years because of it, and I suppose because of the lack of love at home.

I recently came out again, starting last summer. I had since been dating another girl for 18 months. Her brother was gay, she had told me before she was bicurious some time ago and she was always going on about how it was fine and how she supported it all. I told her my history that I had kept a secret and she went crazy and went back on all she had said and said it was sick and wrong and how "now Im going to have to get tested" despite the fact that I knew I was clean, and it had been 4 years since I was last with a guy. I broke up with her because of her reaction.

When I got home (she lived on the other side of the country) one of my best and closest friends came out to me that he was bi and he was worried about it, so I told him "dont worry I am too :lol: " and tried to advise him on what not to do from my experience. We ended up having infrequent sexual relations over the next few months. He came out to our friend group and his parents and they were all fine and really supportive of him - but this made me really angry - because of how it easy it was for him compared to me. I started hating him for it and drifted away emotionally and physically from him because of it. :frowning2:

Later on though, I came out to our friend group too and they were all really supportive of me and accepting, which felt so alien to me. Currently the only people who know are 4 of my friends from Uni, 1 friend from back home and my psychologist. Back home though, things are still tense. My Dad is still very distant from me, whilst my Mum is still very aggressive and will say things in arguments like "well you know the kind of person YOU are" and still tells me I am not her son. A few months ago she was watching the news on the gay marriage bill and she started retching on the sofa. Another time I tried to tackle the problem with my sexuality again and she reacted the same way as before, only this time when she slapped me and spat in my face I hit her and she flew into a table....which I regret a lot as Im not a violent person, but she hasnt been violent towards me since.

These memories still haunt me today, which is why Iv felt the need to post about them. Despite the support from my Uni friends, Im still very depressed and alienated and alone. Iv found myself failing Uni again, losing track of reality and in a downward spiral, and i dont know how to react. Some advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey burntec, welcome to EC!

Your story is horrific, a disgusting display of bad parenting at its worst.

It's good that you found friends to support you, your family does not deserve to see you again, but that is just my opinion.

Confronting memories is painful but necessary in order to move forward. Are you able to work this out with your psychologist or counsellor? If you have that specific goal in mind, you may work together to confront these terrible memories and improving your situation at Uni. Do not consider what you suffered as anything less than serious abuse; I have been through this myself.

You may also try writing a letter addressed to whomever you feel needs it...not for sending, necessarily, but to clarify your thoughts. Start with the following prompts:

1) What I have always wanted to tell you is...

2) What you never understood was...

3) What I want you to know about me is...

4) What I now realize is...

I wish you all the best, brother, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

#2 greatwhale, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  3. musicgirl18

Wow, this is so horrible, and I'm so sorry that all of this has happened to you. :'( It makes me so sad that any human being could treat another person like this. I definitely agree with greatwhale's suggestion of possibly going to a psychologist, or even a therapist. They really do help! I also think his idea of writing a letter is fantastic. :slight_smile: I hope that life gets better for you from now on.

4. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    How can parents do that to their sons???? :frowning2:

Well, i dont know what to tell you except: find what job you love, be the best at it, do everything to be better at it, become good, then great, then outstanding, become a badass at it... Find a hobby, a passion, something with might not give you money but that you can do in your free time, be good at it , become better, become awesome at it, be a badass at it, become the best if possible.

Now, that is on self improvement... Add to that some activity where you help others ina any way, whoever (homeless people, poor people, old people, abused people...) whatever is for the greater good, ideally it would be something related to your work or your hobby.

Form great friendships, get support from friends and support them, be that person everyone loves.

Have casual relationships if you want, but be careful, practice safe sex, etc, be selective regarding what you do and with whom. While at a monogamic relationship dont cheat, be a grewt boyfriend, and make sure your boyfriend/girlfriend is the right person for you.

Above all, be happy...

Why im suggesting all these? Well, that way you will be a great person who cares for other, you will be a healthy person with healthy relationship and good friends, you will shine, and by shining you are going to contradict all the arguments your mom have against you... In the worst case, she will just not accept it and will stay the same but you are going to be stronger and in a better position with the supports of true friends, making it easier to resist any bad emotion she throws at you... In the best case she might change her way of how she sees gay people, dont get your hopes too high on this, but have it in account...

To sum up, contradict her with actions and reality, let her grudge all she wants but dont let her infect you with that...she calls you sick but she is the one who is sick, as a son you can only feel pity for her current mental state, maybe by being happy you can contagiate her with happyness.

5. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Thankyou for your advice, I will try writing out those letter prompts today :slight_smile: I have talked about it a bit with my psychologist but he doesnt really help that much, he just says "hmmm I see...", writes it down and scratches his chin a bit.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    May I suggest you find another psychologist? The advice I gave you is from mine, so it's not just me talking.

Best of luck with it!

7. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I cant really find another, I just use the one at the University health service - and my bank is too empty to go private. Tbh Im worried I may be having a detrimental effect on him as after every session he always looks very tired and depressed himself :eusa_doh:

He does make it easier to talk about, but only in the sessions, there is never anything covered to help long term.

8. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The NHS provides mental health services too, you know. Have you spoken to your doctor about your mental health and depression? They can provide therapy sessions (although not, in my experience, straight away... they'll use other methods beforehand and see if they work). I really would recommend it.

Welcome to the forum (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(&&&)

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao: You should refer him to the NHS!

10. gaywill13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    search up Joel Texas Politician it gets better.

11. eleni

eleni Guest

YOU ARE AN AMAZING PERSON!! you are very brave and courageous!! remember only one thing.. you are not alone. here we all want to help and we are willing to listen to your stories.. as for your parents have you told your psuchologist about the way they treat you? he/she can talk to them as a third person oblectively and make them listen and let them know how you feel. i hope i've hepled you.. you are an amazing person and it is very inspiring that you survived this torture!! i admire you!!