1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi I'm not sure where to put this

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by tezadream, Jun 20, 2008.

1. tezadream

tezadream Guest

:slight_smile:Hi my name is Teza and at the moment I'm working on writing a novel. And the main character is going to be a gay teenager. Round the age of 13-15.
    I have a few questions I was wondering if people around that age, or came out around that age would please answer.
    It would be tonnes of help.

I am only a teenager myself but all my friends, as far as I know, are straight so I'd feel a bit silly asking them these questions.

1. What age did you come out? (If you have already)
    2. Who to? (eg. family or friends or a cousin...)
    3. How did they take it?
    4. Being at school how did your friends take it if you told them? Had they guessd? Or was it hard keeping it a secret?
    5. This question is kind of personal but did you ever have a crush on one of your peers? If so then how did you control your feelings?
    6. Ddi the teachers ever find out and how did they react? (especially if you went to a Catholic School)
    7. What was the biggest obstacle?
    8. What age was it when you knew you were n't straight? How was it coming to terms with it?
    9. Did you ever get bullied because of it?

I know these questions are kind of personal but if you would be kind enough to help me that would be great and if you don't really want anyone to know then you could private message it to me too?
    I won't tell anyone what you say, this is mostly just to help me write the novel.

Thank you

2. SkyTears

1. 17
    2. Pretty much everyone
    3. Awesome
    4. Some guessed
    5. Not really; to close to them were I can't think of myself with them
    6. (public) None of the teachers said anything (when giving speeches in front of class)
    7. The first person to tell
    8. 10 but long stage of denial
    9. No

[please note that were I live people are very accepting]

3. Trumpetplyer23

1. I did most of my coming out 12-14 years of age.

2. Family, school, friends.

3. They all took it pretty well, except for my dad.

4. They all took it well. Not all of them, a couple gueesed. It was hard for me to keep a secret.

5. I've had crushes on loads of peers. I just reminded myself that if they were gay then we could hook up. If they were straight, well, too bad. I always valued friendships more than crushes, though. And when I had a crush on one of my friends, I valued our friendship more. I only told her because I wanted to keep the trust in the friendship.

6. I've come out to a couple teachers. One was homophobic, she didn't like it, but couldn't do anything or she'd get reprimanded. The other was fine with it and she's one of my biggest supporters :slight_smile:

7. Crushes on friends, that turned into something bad. Fixing the friendship. Biggest (and toughest) obstacle.

8. I knew at 12. I came to terms with it very quickly, so, it wasn't too bad.

9. Some kids at my school throw homophobic remarks, but I counter them and they learn to leave me alone. Plus, I'm pretty well built and they're afraid I'd kick their ass.

People where I live are pretty accepting...minus one or two people.

4. TeeJers

1. 15
    2. My parents
    3. fairly well
    4. I never told them. I went to an all boys school. I just had one friend with benefits guy. But nothing special.
    5. Yes. He liked me too. But he didn't like commitment
    6. Nope
    7. Staying in the closet.
    8. 11 or 12. I went back and forth until I turned 15. Then it clicked.
    9. No

5. -Michael-

:slight_smile:

6. Wired106

1. 16

2. Parents, brother, and like 5 of my closest friends.

3. They were all really supporting and are still awesome about everything.

4. At my school, I've only told one person and he's my best friend and he was totally cool about it but he always acted extremely homophobic and I decided to tell him because it was summer and I wasn't sure why I would want to hang around someone tht hated that part of me. He was really supporting though and asked questions and all that and he's still my best friend to this day.

5. Yeah, my best friend, it was really hard to deal with because I thought about it a lot but I managed.

6. I go to a private catholic high school and none of my teachers found out but, I know if I told them, they would all be extremely supporting and totally cool with it because they are all very accepting (I live near San Francisco, most of the time very accepting of gay people).

7. The biggest obstacle for me was not being able to tell anyone and being really confused and worried about how other people react and how much it would effect my future life.

8. Around age 10

9. Nope

7. gentlegiant4

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ** I think this is a great idea btw :slight_smile:

1. What age did you come out?
    I came out at 15/16.

2. Who to?
    Friends, then my cousin (girl), parents, then cousin (boy).

3. How did they take it?
    Some people have said some ignorant things ("Really? You don't show it") but nothing too bad.

4. Being at school how did your friends take it if you told them? Had they guessd? Or was it hard keeping it a secret?
    It's interesting, I kind of waited to let it be known at school because my (straight) best friend was two grades ahead of me and some people had suspicions that we were messing around behind his girlfriend's back, anyway. (ESPECIALLY my friends, who already knew about me.) He always shrugged it off and he was more supportive than I could've asked for, but I didn't want to cause him to get shit for hanging out with the gay kid. I knew he wouldn't have cared, but ... yeah.

5. This question is kind of personal but did you ever have a crush on one of your peers? If so then how did you control your feelings?
    I have only had a crush on one guy, and it was him ^^. Initially I kind of ignored him sometimes or denied his invitations to hang out, but I knew it was hurting him because he didn't know why I was being like that. So I invited him over, he was excited, and I told him I liked him and he was completely supportive and said that nothing would change. At my request we didn't hang out for a little under two weeks. It was long but it got me thinking and got me over it.

6. Ddi the teachers ever find out and how did they react? (especially if you went to a Catholic School)
    Nah, the teachers never really caught on, I don't think, unless they overheard some conversations with my acquaintances in my classes, ALL of whom were cool with it (extremely weird, but just as awesome). If anyone didn't like it, they didn't have anything to say about it. Not publicly, anyway.

Telling guys. Jeez, I don't think homophobic girls even exist anymore. But guys, it's a whole different story. So far so good though.

8. What age was it when you knew you were n't straight? How was it coming to terms with it?
    I was about 12. I didn't come to terms with it very well, unfortunately. Denied the feelings, tried to make myself like girls, dated girls, the whole shebang. Didn't work, obviously. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Not really, I had a pretty good standing beforehand, and it didn't change me. And I think a lot of people knew that.

8. paint

I started to write a novel too, but it sort of slowed down lately.

1. 17 ... a few months ago
    2.My parents (mom and step-dad), then my 2 best friends, some cousins and what not. Little brother.
    3.Everyone took it fine. One of my cousins is actually gay as well (lesbian) , and another is bi.
    4. One friend had guessed. and it was difficult to keep it in.
    5.Yeah, I did. I managed to tell him, and he was fine with it (but straight) We're still friends as far as I know.
    6. not really.
    7. telling my crush...thought it would kill me, heh. It was great when he accepted me.
    8. from 6 to 8th grade. I liked it and denied it at the same time. I knew there were a lot of people who would give me problems.
    9. not yet

9. Words

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    1. 16-17. A work in progress.
    2. My close friends and my parents. Not yet my brothers.
    3. Pretty awesomely. Nobody really had a problem with it and my best friend especially has been awesome support.
    My parents took a while to convince/educate but they understand now, though we never really talk about it, which kinda makes it feel like an awkward topic.
    One friend of mine was always considered very homophobic, and I came out to him accidently. (Browser download history :slight_smile:) And it turned out he wasn't exactly as homophobic as I thought (or at least he valued our friendship more than he was.) He says his homophobia is gone now, anyway, and has apologized for his previous hurtful behavior.
    4. Most of my friends guessed. My best friend said he would have never guessed, but it made a lot of sense when he thought about it. One of my friends had no idea, but he didn't know me as well as the rest.
    5. Yes, a lot. I had/have (trying to make it go away) a major crush on one of my friends, but he is straight, so it will never happen. A pretty common situation I think.
    6. Nope. Not fully out yet, so teachers don't know. Though some of my journals might have made it obvious to my English teachers but they didn't treat me any differently.
    7. Telling my parents I guess because it was so unheard of in my family. None of my family members are openly LGBT.
    8. I would almost say 11-12ish. But perhaps maybe before that. I would tell myself so much denial stuff. (I'm not gay, I'm just desperately horny, etc.) But websites and forums helped me the most, and I accepted it perhaps at 13/14. It was still extremely depressing though until at least when I came out to my best friend and he was accepting.
    9. No. Only my friends know, so of course not.

10. tezadream

tezadream Guest

Hi everyone!
    Thanks for all of this! I've written about half the novel now and I'll probably tell you all when it's finished!
    You have all been a great help to me!
    :slight_smile:

11. Cheese Love

Sixteen- just this year.

My very close friends.

3. How did they take it?
    Very well! They are competely cool about it and I'm very blessed.

The first person was very hard. She was really supportive, but I'm the one who had the problem with coming out, and I really regretted saying it because I felt I wasn't ready and that I was forced into saying it. The next week at school we'd still act the same but it was as if there were something we weren't talking about. It was slightly awkward.
    The first person hadn't guessed. Two of my four friends that I told had totally guessed, like 100% sure.

5. This question is kind of personal but did you ever have a crush on one of your peers? If so then how did you control your feelings? I did, and I controlled my feelings by constantly reminding myself that the said person was straight and I didn't have a chance. As for minor attractions or just fascinations, I kept it to myself.

6. Ddi the teachers ever find out and how did they react? (especially if you went to a Catholic School) No teachers ever found out, though there might have been one rather butch (no really, the most butch lesbian I'd ever seen) who guessed by all of the different t-shirts I wore. (Haha, I have one with a picture of Shane from The L Word that says "Shane is my Homegirl")

Do you mean the biggest obstacle of coming out? Humm.. Well, first it would be finally figuring out I was gay and admitting it to myself, and also.. I find the hardest part is the exact moment when you finally say it to someone.

8. What age was it when you knew you were n't straight? How was it coming to terms with it? I would like to say I realized I was confused around fourteen; I knew I didn't like guys. By age fifteen I realized the possibility of being gay but didn't believe it. At sixteen I knew I wasn't straight and after a few months I finally came to terms that I was gay. It wasn't until a month after I realized it that it started to really set it and I became incredibly stressed out and scared because of it. I had no idea what to do about it or what I would even do with my life. I felt pretty helpless and pathetic.

Nope.

12. grapevine fires

1. 16

2. My close friends

3. Haha, I love them! They were totally content and fine with it.

4. Well, the people I hang out with don't care about sexuality. Everyone's pretty open about everything.. and there was already someone like me among those people (but I don't really talk to her.. I'm good friends with her trans. boyfriend though :slight_smile:)

5. Yeah, I did, and do. I deal with it by ignoring it completely, as I do with most crushes.

6. Teachers don't give a crap at my school. They're not bad teachers, they just don't care about sexual orientation. I never told any tho....

7. Dealing with myself. I'm still having problems coming to terms with the whole "I'm Gay!" thing.. I've grown up in a heterosexual (but not homophobic) environment, so I just have problems with the fact that I might not have a "normal" family (man + woman +kids).

8. Again, I figured out that I wasn't straight this year. Before though, I had a crush on a certain TV character in the Buffy series (age 12, I think)

9.Yes, however this took place almost a year before I came out. I was close friends with this girl, and people in my class were calling us "Lesbian Lovers". It makes me laugh because the next year, we were. I use the term Lovers in the same context as "F*ckbuddies" btw.

13. LOVEjames

Hm... I think I was 14 or 15.

My two best friends at pretty much the same time.

3. How did they take it?
    It was sorta funny. I told them (on msn), and they IM'd eachother and Drew was like, "Is James gay?" - and Liz said "Seems that way." - they totally didn't have a problem with it, though.

4. Being at school how did your friends take it if you told them? Had they guessed? Or was it hard keeping it a secret?
    Hm, I never went to a traditional school when I came out. I went to an online school, and when I joined the first thing I did was create the GSA, so it was pretty apparent that I was gay, and everyone was pretty okay with it, if not so much more.

This isn't terribly personal, actually. And I've had a lot of crushes. I get a little rush when I see them or whatnot, but it's nothing that I can't control. I normally don't develop crushes on people that I know already... it's weird.

6. Ddi the teachers ever find out and how did they react?
    All of my teachers knew, and most of the time we didn't talk about it. But I wrote quite of a few papers in my English class about being LGBT and everything, and my teacher (who's a lesbian) adored them, so that wasn't really a problem at all.

I'm not really sure... I'm trying to think of something, but nothing is really coming to mind. I guess I haven't had many problems regarding my queerness.

8. What age was it when you knew you weren't straight? How was it coming to terms with it?
    Well, I remember seeing a movie when I was 9 about two frat houses or something, and as a prank, one frat mooned the other right in front of their house, and I remember thinking that those guy's asses were really appealing. xD
    But I think that I first realized it when I was 11 or 12, and I was like, "Oh, okay. I'm gay." But I knew that it wasn't socially 'acceptable' where I lived, so I kept it to myself. I still do, but for different reasons. I never really had a point of denial, and I'm grateful for that.

People don't bully me. I'm fairly intimidating, even if I'm a gay guy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Desert Rat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

16, or thereabouts.

Friends.

3. How did they take it?

They didn't believe me. I'm a very good actor, and had managed to pick up all the little things that characterize straight guys over the years. I spent quite a while just convincing them that I wasn't just kidding.

It was impossible to keep it a secret. I made the mistake of telling one person who I probably shouldn't have, and they told more. It was okay, because I had decided to be open about it by that time, but I would have been mad if I was still trying to keep it under wraps.

Yes. It was easy to control it in some cases, when I didn't know the guy that well, but in the few cases where it was a crush on a close friend... That was hard. You pretty much just have to grit your teeth and remind yourself that it could never go anywhere anyway.

6. Did the teachers ever find out and how did they react? (especially if you went to a Catholic School)

You mean the super-liberal teachers at my Bay Area public school? No, they never found out (or at least not yet), but I'm sure that they would throw me some kind of support party if they did. They're a bit strange.

Myself. Everyone else was very accepting, but I had to deal with my own periodic oh-no-I'll-never-have-children-maybe-I-should-pretend-to-be-straight freakouts.

8. What age was it when you knew you weren't straight? How was it coming to terms with it?

I knew deep down all my life, but I started to recognize it around fifth grade. I didn't fully realize it until freshman year.

No. I'm a big guy, and quick-witted enough to think up decent comebacks whenever I need to, so I pretty much just scared everyone off.

15. Psychedelic Bookmarks

First to some friends, then my brother, then parents, then to more and more friends
    3. How did they take it?
    Everyone took it pretty well, except my aunt who went on about it probably being a phase
    4. Being at school how did your friends take it if you told them? Had they guessed? Or was it hard keeping it a secret?
    My school friends took it very well, but so far I've only told people who I know are open-minded. I don't think any had guessed
    I had a crush on a primary school peer. That was fucked up o.0 I didn't really cope well. I've had crushes on peers more recently too, but mainly it's not that hard to control. You just have to keep reminding yourself that it's probably never going to happen.
    I told one teacher who took it great. But it's not a Catholic school.
    Feeling sure enough of myself to tell others and not doubt myself, and actually saying the words the first few times.
    I suspected around the age of 9 or 10 but I pushed it away for years and convinced myself I was straight. At 14, I realised my feelings for girls in an undeniable way. It was hard to come to terms with at first, but gradually I felt more confident.
    I haven't yet, but few people know. A lesbian freiend of mine has been bullied by some little shites at school, so I anticipate it might happen to me.

16. revolutionrock

A close friend.
    3. How did they take it?
    Amazingly well. I couldn't have imagined a better reaction.
    Well, I think most people have guessed. I'm pretty metro, bordering on femme, so.... It's not really hard keeping it a secret though.
    Yeah. It was hard, but I got over it. I just focused on other things - school, work. Important stuff.
    Societal pressures.
    I think I really put it all together at the end of 6th grade.
    Sure. I live in a red state. :wink:

17. silentsound

well, I would like to help you. I am in the age group but all of those questions don't apply to me yet, but here goes...
    1. What age did you come out? (If you have already) never
    2. Who to? (eg. family or friends or a cousin...) it will be a close friend of mine if I ever get the courage
    3. How did they take it? I think she'll take it well (*cough* I am a coward)
    4. Being at school how did your friends take it if you told them? Had they guessd? Or was it hard keeping it a secret? It's hard keeping it a secret a lot of the time, but I'm not ready to tell my friends because they are sort of luke warm on the acceptance of gays front
    5. This question is kind of personal but did you ever have a crush on one of your peers? If so then how did you control your feelings? yes, very much so. put it in perspective, move on. understand why they will never reciprocate, move on. It hurts and it's very hard, but sometimes you have to love someone enough to let them go.
    6. Ddi the teachers ever find out and how did they react? (especially if you went to a Catholic School) I think my one teacher might suspect... can't be much help here
    7. What was the biggest obstacle? getting past the "but I want a husband and kids!" syndrome (still sort of working on that one)
    8. What age was it when you knew you were n't straight? How was it coming to terms with it? 13 years and 11 months. It was scary at first... very scary. But time and resources through communities like this one helped me understand it and feel more normal
    9. Did you ever get bullied because of it? well, I've been bullied by people who think it. But they just think it because they are insecure and I am different, they don't actually have any substantial evidence that I am, that's just to make me mad but I'm ok with that.

Sorry I can't be much help, good luck! PM me if you need help, I may not be out but if your character is 13-15 I can definitely provide some insight into the whole process!

18. tezadream

tezadream Guest

Hi Silentsound thanks for your help! yes you have helped tonnes. even people who haven't come out yet will be helping cos they'll know what it's like. I understand what you mean about your friends and i might include a sort of feeling like that in the novel :slight_smile:

19. AlmightyFluffy

1. What age did you come out? (If you have already) Around 14
    2. Who to? (eg. family or friends or a cousin...) My closest friend first, then I slowly came to tell my family.
    3. How did they take it? Dissapointingly well. I like controversy.
    4. Being at school how did your friends take it if you told them? Had they guessd? Or was it hard keeping it a secret? Most of my friends who knew had no idea, it was easy to keep it a secret to others.
    5. This question is kind of personal but did you ever have a crush on one of your peers? If so then how did you control your feelings? Yes, I fell head over heels for a cute asian guy in one of my least favorite classes, I hid it by becoming human wallpaper and became virtually invisible to everyone else.
    6. Ddi the teachers ever find out and how did they react? (especially if you went to a Catholic School) I never thought it was any of their business, so I never told them, though all of them were pretty open minded people.
    7. What was the biggest obstacle? Dealing with a good makority of my school friends being well, to put it simply, mormon.
    8. What age was it when you knew you were n't straight? How was it coming to terms with it? I started thinking I was when I was eleven, and from twelve to to fourteen I thought it might just be a phase, and it was the summer that I was going to highschool that it finally hit me.
    9. Did you ever get bullied because of it? No, just a lot of jokes were made at my expense. Like guys guessing how many types of STDs I had, calling me butt basher, turd tingler, and dick lick. Though they were just pretending to be homophobic, it sometimes got a little annoying.

#19 AlmightyFluffy, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  20. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Started to at 15
    2. Who to?
    My parents, siblings and a few friends
    3. How did they take it?
    very well, my mom was concerned I'd get ostracized but that's all
    One friend didn't believe me the first time but the second time she was great, all the others were great as well. No one guessed but upon further reflection one of my friends said it suited me, have no idea what she meant though...
    I've got a crush on one of my best friends, I just ignore it, it helps that I have a half crush on someone else (who I don't know at all)...
    6. Did the teachers ever find out and how did they react?
    the teachers at my school don't know that I'm gay, and it's not catholic, but there are openly gay people (like, make-out-in-the-halls open) and no one really cares, to my knowledge
    getting over my fear of coming out
    well, when I was about 13 one of my friends came out and that triggered my thinking about it and realizing that the fact that I had never liked guys up till that point and (subconsciously (meaning I didn't let myself think about it)) was more attracted to women
    not yet...