1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrote her a letter...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ausdtc, Jun 21, 2008.

1. ausdtc

Hey.

I've been wanting to tell my mum for the last week or so, but even when I had the perfect opportunities I couldn't get the words out. So, today at work I was thinking and decided that I'd write her a letter and post it to her. I figured it'd be easier to put something in a post box than to find the courage to speak :slight_smile:

Well, I got home and wrote the letter.. Then decided I couldn't wait until after the weekend, so I put it inside the book she's currently reading. She's just gone to bed now, hopefully she'll read a bit before she sleeps..

I'm extremely nervous.. Not sure what to expect :tears:

2. TeeJers

That's a good idea! I hope it works for you! I might have to try that.

3. -Michael-

Haha my dad wouldnt bother reading it if i left a letter. haha

Hope it goes well :slight_smile:

4. SkyTears

lol I wouldn't be smart enough to put a letter in my mom's book. Tell us how it goes.

5. Wired106

Hope everything goes well! :slight_smile:

6. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Hey, good luck dude. Hope it goes okay :slight_smile:

7. Stargate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thats what I did was write a letter. I just couldnt figure out how else to do it as it dosent normally come up in usual conversation. The only problem is not knowing if they read it or not I came home and niether of them said anything till the next morning so I was a bit scared but hope everything turns out well!

8. ausdtc

Thanks guys! I still have no idea if she read it or not, if she has then she hasn't mentioned a thing at all yet.. So, I hope it's just that she didn't read last night!

Will update when I know for sure :slight_smile:

9. ausdtc

OK, I just got back from doing some laps at the pool with my sister, and a friend. Before we left I asked Mum if she read any of her book last night (I couldn't help myself, was so anxious I had to know!). She said that she hadn't, and I replied that as soon as we leave she should. She gave me a puzzled look as I was reversing out of the driveway.

We were almost at my friend's place when I got a phone call on my mobile. It was Mum. She said that she doesn't care and I'm still the same person, that as long as I'm happy she's happy, and she'll always love me no matter what. So, Yay!

Even before the phone call my sister was really confused, trying to figure out why I'd ask about her book, and she was coming up with tons of possibilities. After the call she was even more confused. So, once I'd picked my friend up I told her. She didn't believe me at all, thought I was being funny to try and avoid telling her what was really going on. Even after my friend confirmed it, and said she'd known for a while my sister still didn't believe it.

When we got home Mum gave her the letter (with my permission) to read, and I think she believes me now. She didn't really have a reaction either way, just said I'm still the same. So, another success I guess! I assume my brother (well, the eldest of my 4 brothers!!) will get told soon, not sure what he'll think.

Dad still doesn't know, but I feel it's only a matter of time now before everyone finds out. I guess I'm relieved even though I know it's not going to be so easy with my dad, and best friend. But, there's a heap of people now who know and are supportive, so that helps.

10. Davey

^_^
    happy to hear things went well.

11. Tim

Tim

Glad to see it turned out fine! =D

Good luck with your older brother =P

12. Grof142007

yay congrats

13. ausdtc

Whoa! Thanks everyone :slight_smile: It's been made a heap easier with all the advice and encouraging stories I've read from you guys here, thank you!

Tim, he's not my older brother exactly, I'm the eldest child :grin: He came next! But yeah, Mum apparently let him know sometime during the day and he was fine. She said he asked if I'm with (or have been with) anyone, and when she replied that I hadn't, he wondered how I knew I was. So, he read the letter and I guess he understands now. But, I haven't seen him myself yet.

His girlfriend was great apparently, that was expected though - she has a lesbian sister! She did say to Mum that she wasn't expecting that all.

Also let another friend know today when I was out for tea, she wasn't at all shocked - apparently her mother suspected it a long time ago lol!

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That's great news! Congratulations!

15. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  16. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great! Congratulations! Glad that it went so well for you.

17. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Hey, I'm pleased it all went so well for you. Congrats :grin:

18. Emberstone

I just found the thread, and I wanted to give you my congradulations also. I also considered doing what you did when I decided I would come out to my mother first. We are both avid readers, and I was about to type the letter when we were watching a movie, and she asked me, and I anwsered honestly. I think she suspected it, so she took the first step.

But again, congradulations, you took the first step, and I found that was the hardest.

19. Wired106

that's awesome! CONGRATS =]

20. EM68

I am happy for you that things have worked out well.:icon_bigg