1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A coward and then a lion (my coming out)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by KWDBM, Jan 1, 2014.

1. KWDBM

*shrugs* The title fits.

I came out when I was 14. A couple select friends already knew, but I mean maybe 2 or 3 people. And I felt like I needed my mom to finally know. .... But I was a coward. I was *so* scared of what her reaction would be; I had the idea that she'd accept it eventually, I mean I knew for sure she wouldn't kick me out or anything, but that initial reaction I was scared of. .... So I didn't do it. I took a really really sneaky way out, got on the phone with my best friend (who knew), and asked her to do it. My mom got on the phone with her and *she* explained to my mom that I was gay, while I hid in the bathroom.
    (Mom was fairly calm and reassuring, although it took her another 9 years before she stopped trying to push me to "try dating guys").

My friends... Well that's my lion part. I honestly don't know what got into me, I don't remember the circumstances, but it wasn't long after mom was told. Maybe I was just annoyed about the whole issue that day or I really have no clue, but at lunchtime at school I stood up on the small brick wall we always sat on, and basically announced (loudly) to anyone within hearing distance that I was a lesbian. So that included the 8-10 friends, plus anyone who was walking by.
    (And of *course* the main response I got was "oh, I knew that!". I've gotten that a lot. HOW??)

Nowadays I try to get it out asap when meeting someone who'll be more then a passing stranger, I'm not shy about it at all. Although I still say lesbian even though I've realized it's more complicated then that.

2. MightNeedThis

3. phoebe

My friend practically asked me if i was a lesbian!