1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappointing Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by EddieMurphy, Jan 7, 2014.

1. EddieMurphy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi EC. Here's a short run down of my coming out story. I came out to all of my friends as bisexual earlier in the year (my sexuality is incredibly fluid, so it's an easier term to grasp) and they were all incredibly supportive. Furthermore, I came out to them once I became involved in my first real relationship with a man, who has been accepted by my friends with open arms. Since then, my boyfriend encouraged me to come out to my family so that we can have a 'normal' relationship. It was incredibly difficult for me to come out to my immigrant parents (who I am still living with) and didn't do so until January 1st via e-mail - eight months after we started dating. Although I received a "we'll talk when you get home - we still love you!" e-mail, things weren't so great when I confronted my parents face to face. I always suspected that they would be supportive and understanding in a liberal sense, however, vague homophobic statements and selfishness arose when we discussed my sexuality. Needless to say, we are not on speaking terms. My friends and coworkers have all said that they'll come around eventually, but it's difficult to share a living space when I've made it clear that they offended me with their statements. Statements such as:

1) You ruined our trip in the Caribbean (even though they had already returned when they read the e-mail).
    2) We wish you had never told us.
    3) You cannot tell your brother or extended family. We have to do so in our own "special way".
    4) Your life will be really hard.

I was offended because they made it seem like my coming out, which was certainly the hardest thing I've had to do my entire life, was troublesome to them. My parents, mother in particular, are concerned about what our extended family will think. I feel as though I have shamed them, even though I am in my early twenties and just want to get on with my life. Thankfully, I have a supportive boyfriend and friends that are helping me get through this. I'm just waiting for them to approach me and acknowledge that they hurt me. As depressing as my familial situation is, the irony is that the only people who have made my life difficult post-coming out are my parents. Here's hoping that it gets better.

#1 EddieMurphy, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. TimK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds really hard but it is at least great that you have a supportive boyfriend and friends. I guess the best one can say is that giving your parents a little time seems the best choice at the moment. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck!

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww, sorry that happened. I hope they come around, as you said it is such irony. (*hug*)

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2014 at 02:18 PM ----------

Oh yes, and major CON-FREAKING-GRATS on coming out!!! (!)(!)(!)
    :arrow:frowning2:!!):sunglasses:(!):newcolor::newcolor::thewave: :eusa_booh:starwars::music::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :eusa_danc:thumbsup:(!!)(!!):thumbsup:

Yay you!

4. bitheway7

Congrats to you!

Two questions though...

1. how much longer will you be financially dependent on your parents?
    2. How old is your brother? How much of a desire do you have to tell him and extended fam? If bro is legally an adult....it's not your parents decision on if you tell or not. Same with extended fam.