1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told my grandma

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by EleanorHunter, Jan 18, 2014.

1. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To make a long story short, I had wanted to come out to my grandma very shortly after I had first come out to my parents; about a year ago. My dad's side of the family seems to be pretty accepting, and my dad said she'd love me no matter what. She even took my sister and I to a lesbian commitment ceremony a few years back, but I was just nervous things might go wrong.

Anyways, she took me to lunch today for my birthday, like she does every year. We had a good time talking about school, learning to drive, stage crew, etc. She's always been very easy to talk to. We came back to my house, and after staying for a little bit, she said she was going to head back home. As she was grabbing her coat, I asked if I could say something that I'd wanted to say for years. My dad was standing in the room, and knew what was coming next (I'd mentioned I wanted to come out to her yesterday). I looked down at the ground as I explained, "You know that friend I was talking about? The one who plays guitar better than me and who tried to teach me colorguard stuff? Well, she isn't exactly a friend. We dated at one point... because I'm bi. You don't have to accept it, or like it, just tolerate it because it's who I am. I just love this family so much-" but she cut me off and asked "So, you're telling me you're gay?" to which I replied with "No, I'm bi."

By this point, she was teary eyed, and told me I could be gay, bi, or purple, it didn't matter, but she would love me no matter what. My dad burst in and started complimenting me too, which was a good thing because I was about to cry at this point. She gave me an extra hug before she left, saying how wonderful we all were. When she left and my dad walked out the door, I started crying. My mom hugged me and said "Oh my gosh why are you crying?! Don't cry!" I just said I had been so worried about it. My mom, being ever so encouraging as always, told me "Aw honey, you just have to remember, it's mommy's side of the family that sucks." :roflmao:

This is a huge weight off my shoulders, and I'm really happy about it. I haven't had to officially come out to anyone for at least six months, so it was difficult. Oh well, it's done. One member of the extended family down, a bunch more to go.

2. Fourth Gate

You have a great grandma, i'm really happy to hear that it worked out so well for you.

3. mikey1345

mikey1345 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    congrats! thats awesome feels good to be accepted :slight_smile: your family sounds great!