1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went to Pride Festival

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by heinrichtann, Jun 29, 2008.

1. heinrichtann

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I guess this still counts as a "coming out story": I attended the Pride festivities here in Toronto for the first time. I came out to myself only 5 months ago, and since then I've come out only to a few people, so this is the my first time being "gay in the open."

My friend insisted that I buy an "appropriate" shirt to wear. He had in mind something with the rainbow all over, but finally we settled in something more discrete and according to my usual dressing style (a solid green shirt, with small rainbow-colored maple leaves on one side.) When I boarded the subway wearing it, I felt a little self-conscious at first, especially when this guy sitting across the isle gave me this funny look. But that was until I noticed the rainbow bracelet he was wearing :slight_smile:

In any case, on Saturday I joined some gay friends and wandered along Church Str (Toronto's Gay Village, where the street festival takes place) both in broad daylight and at night, and then on Sunday we met again, watched the Parade and ended up playing pool in a bar.

I thought I was going to feel uncomfortable, but I actually had a good time. My friend was with me all the time, and he was wonderfully supportive, explaining things and giving me a tour of the area. It didn't really feel that much different from other street festivals I have attended (well, maybe except for the half-naked people and the drag queens :slight_smile: ) Just lots of people having fun and mostly minding their own business. Something that caught my eye was the many couples walking around holding hands, or hugging. I thought it was really sweet.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so happy for you that you liked it and that you had such a great time. :slight_smile: Cool!

3. Gumtree

What a milestone!

Well done and congratulations. I'm sure everoyne here remember's their first gay/bi event and how hard it was to start with.

4. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Hey that's brilliant mate! I'm so pleased you enjoyed yourself!!

Congratulations also on actually going, it must have been a little strange to start off with finally being open... You have some amazing friends there :slight_smile:

5. cc6log

Don't know if I could ever do one of those. Sounds like you bit the bullet and had a pretty good time. I am a little over a decade younger than you yet I can barely imagine doing what you did... Don't know if I don't want to or am too scared to or what it may be... Either way sounds like it turned out to be a great time so congrats and good luck with further endeavors in what Bob and Doug Mckenzie "Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis" call the Great White North.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That reminds me about the first time I boarded the train in Portland to go to Pride with my PFLAG shirt on. These two girls asked me what PFLAG was so I told them not knowing their reaction. They got this big smile on their face and said "Cool! I didn't know there was such an organziation!" It turned out they were lesbians. :grin: Anyway, glad you had a good time!

7. panda

Glad you had a gay ol' time.:lol:

8. Andrew

wow thats great. :] have any pictures :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. James

Glad you had a good time, I'm thinking of going in a year or two, have any pictures?

10. revolutionrock

I just watched some video of Toronto Pride! That's awesome, congratulations!