1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling Daddy...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Rob13, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Rob13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I have actually not been on this web site in a long while which is horribly of me considering it actually helped me and I did not really give back to it. I shall sum my life up and tell you the details on how I told my father I was gay and how it is going. I think I am doing a good job so I hope it helps stir up good ideas on how you can tell your father if he is like mine...

Okay, Well about a year and three months ago, I told mom. It went well overall, I merely took a few months for it to sink in and accept fully. Then last summer I told a selective number of friends and had my first real gay experience. It was amazing! :lol: Then I had another that summer, which ended horribly but at least I wasn't the one who was hurt/crazy... lol. Then university comes along and I have my first real relationship that lasted three whole months with a boy! This ended horribly too but I soon found a new love. By this time in life, all of my friends from back home knew and everyone around me knew as well. The only person who did not know yet, was my dad and brother. Basically my mom told my brother when I told her to. He is chill and didn't even care. lol. So here I am with my new boyfriend of 3 months at easter. Time to finally tell dad...

So Easter weekend happens this year and I head happily on home. I knew I wanted to tell my dad this weekend but I didn't know when or how. He is very... narrow minded and has made countless gay bashing comments during the years I had known him. Knowing this, I did not want to tell him as soon as I got home because I did not want to ruin Easter for myself. So on Easter Sunday, I wanted to tell him. My brother had friends over and they broke some thing my dad seemed to think had a life of its own (some air cleaner think we got from our dead step grandma). So I am trying to get up the courage to tell him and then he starts yelling at my brother, blah blah blahhh... So I had to get away from it all because it was too much. I hid in the bathroom and cried... Not one of my finer moments but I was stressed out... Mom finds me when I leave and she knew how upset I was. It is hard to hold tears back when a situation seems hopeless. Anyways, supper came along and dad had settled down a bit and was looking a bit more chill. After supper was done, my brother left, knowing what I was going to do and mom went to walk the dogs leaving my dad and I sitting at the table alone. So I started talking about my classes I was taking at university. I told him of my dreaded philosophy courses which actually made sense once in a while. I used this as my head into telling him. I told him how I was learning of ways of thinking, morals and being yourself. Then I said that I was being more my self than ever. I told him things I valued in life... Then I told him what made me happy. Then I told him Trevor(my bf) makes me happy... "How is Trevor?" "Dad... Trevor is my boyfriend." *Silence* Then questions upon questions happen. The ones you would expect... how long have you known? Do you know for sure? blah blah blah... So he didn't kill me! hurray! but he was having trouble dealing non the less. So then I leave back to the city happy to have this off my chest. I left my mom and brother at home with him while he apparently cried for about 2 weeks. He got ideas in his head of me doing out, doing drugs, having random gay sex, getting aids and dying somewhere on the street. He was so right! NOT! what the hell... I just thought he would know his own son better but he had the stereotypes shoved in his head for so many years, he couldn't see past his ego and not see the truth. He wrote me a letter and sent it a few weeks later. It was better than him saying it I think... Some of the things offended me in the letter but the underlying part of it was that he cared about me and was mainly concerned for my well being. So I answered all the questions back on a nice e-mail explaining his concerns which were mainly stereotypes. He was also concerned about me having kids. I am having kids eventually and there are many ways I can go about it... So that is what I said. Eventually mom and dad came to visit me again when they both knew I was gay. Dad seemed to get calmer as the day went on. I took him shopping for his b-day/father's day and did cool things with them. He just needed to see that my life was so good. He said, "You look happy and healthy." I am happy he sees this.
    My life is soooo good now. He is still getting use to it and I don't think he is ready to meet Trevor yet. My mom and brother both have though... and they both like him a lot. I actually found a keeper and it didn't even take me that long because last year at this time, I hadn't even kissed a boy! I may or may not have problems with my dad in the future, but I got this far, I am not stopping now!

Basically my advice is take control of your life. It is yours for the taking. Be aware, be smart and don't let anyone put you down! There will always be someone there for you, you just have to look. I hope this helps someone, and if not, I hope you all enjoyed my story. I'll be around.

Robbie. (lol I feel like I just ended a movie or something)

2. Andrew

awwh that was such a nice story. I see it had some ups and downs! But I am glad that your dad took its quite well. Like most dads, they have the common stereotypes of gay people. I can understand that, but about the drugs and stuff, not so much.. Anyways Congrats!

-Luis

3. cm25

cm25 Guest

wow, Im happy for u it looks like things are going really good. See I'm hoping my dad deals with it well cuz if I tell anyone he will be first. His brother wash gay (my uncle haha). He passed away last year and sadly I was not able to tell my uncle like I wanted to. But i feel like my dad should be ok with it and maybe even know some advice from my uncle. I just hope it goes good for me and congrats to you.

4. Psychedelic Bookmarks

That's awesome! Thanks for coming back to tell us your happy story. A great message, thanks.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congratulations! Yes, we parents have all kinds of freakish things go through our heads when our kids come out to us. That is why its better to address these things right off the bat! Don't let our imaginations run rampant! :grin: I'm sure your Dad will want to meet Trevor soon! :slight_smile:

6. panda

Great story.Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a great story indeed. I'm happy for you that you are enjoying life. Thanks for posting your story. Congratulations!

8. Drew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, quite a story, but Congrats, non the less. :slight_smile:

9. wow thats great hope things work out good for you

10. nonamechems

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow that was a good story congrats!

11. Thats cute I'm glad it worked out for you =]

12. Rob13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :slight_smile: I am pleased you guys enjoyed my story. It is funny to look back at what I went though and now the problems I face in life. (A douchbag manager who forces me to skip class to work so I will get THANKSGIVING OFF...) but now I remember I had it much worse at one point. lol. Goodluck CM if you haven't told your father yet!

Robbie

13. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Amazing story :slight_smile: .

14. Awkwardlyrandom

Awh, touching story! Parents really do care for you at the end. You just gotta trust them. Ahah, I still have to tell my Dad sooner or later myself. xD

15. ScentedRegrets

Hey Robbie. Thanks for sharing your story. I am in a very similar situation to what you WERE in. My mother has known for about two months now, and all of my best friends now know, too. I have tried so hard this past month to come out to my father, but have not mustered the courage to do so. He is a close-minded person who has set ideas about what is right and what is wrong. And being gay is not one of them.

Still, on the other hand, I think that deep down he knows. 23 years old (24 in a month) and never had a girlfriend? Never mentioned any girls? blah blah I just cannot find the courage just yet to tell him. Honestly, if I was not an only child, I think I would have told him already. I wish I had a sibling to bounce ideas and feelings off of.

Any who, thank you for sharing your story. I must admit, I am a bit envious of you and Trevor :slight_smile: You sound like you are really happy for him, and that makes me very happy. You and several other people on this forum are inspiring me to have the courage to do what I believe I will do soon. That is my goal - come out before my 24th birthday, which is in about one month.

Thanks!