1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by clevername96, Jan 27, 2014.

1. clevername96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First, I want to thank the people at this forum for helping me when I first came here, you all helped so much and it helped me accept myself and analyze my situation. I wanted to post this here to write it out, sorry if it's long.

When I first came out, it wasn't really coming out, rather then me going to a friend and venting after breaking up with my girlfriend because I didn't feel anything like I thought I should. After talking with him for awhile, I realized that I was gay. I think I knew ever since middle school but growing up, everyone always told me it was wrong, so I tried to tell myself that it was curiosity or a phase, and I had myself fooled quite well. After that talk, he became my go to when I needed to talk about it, and it was an amazing feeling to have such an honest relationship with someone, to be able to talk about these things that I've been hiding away for so long.

Next came my ex. She was angrily texting me because she didn't understand why I broke up with her. After a lot of arguing, I wanted her to understand, so I came out to her. She basically laughed at me and threw it back in my face. Later, I found out she also told the friend that I came out to next behind my back, along with two other people.

The second friend that was told for me, is one of my most supportive friends, and she got really mad at my ex because she felt, and rightly so, that it wasn't her place to tell people about my life.

Most recently I came out to another close friend who was just as supportive and understanding. Then came the main thing I was worried about, telling my really good friend, but I thought he was possibly anti-gay. He had said some things in the past about gay people that made me hesitant to come out to him. However, I ended up not having to. After a Facebook post about how the word "faggot" is really offensive and how people should think about what they say before they speak, he confronted me, telling me he knew, smiling, and telling me we were still friends, and orientation couldn't change that. I asked him about previous comments he made and he said he referred more to the crazy flamers at school who flaunt them being gay in everyone's face, which the people he talks about I have seen and I completely understand.

The defining moment that made this all worth it for me was when I was with this group of friends, someone made a rather offensive comment about gays in conversation, and all 4 of them jumped down their throat about it. Having the support of these people has made all the difference, and without the guidance and advice from this forum, I might not have ever told anyone, so thank you again and again sorry it was so long, I just really needed to write it all out. :smilewave

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats on coming out! It sucks that your hand was kind of forced a little bit, but I'm happy to hear that your real friends were so supportive in the end. Enjoy the freedom to be yourself! :slight_smile: