1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorta Came Out to History Teacher

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by LongMayIReign, Feb 3, 2014.

1. LongMayIReign

This morning I was in history class when a student asked about homophobia in Eastern Europe (he wanted to know I guess about the criminalization of openly gay citizens) and my teacher is really open minded so he starts explaining the situation. Here's the thing, whenever I'm in an awkward or uncomfortable situation I blush super hard, so the second this conversation starts I feel my face heating up and I started to panic. Luckily I sit in an area of the room where only the teacher could see my face when he's speaking. So there I am blushing and panicking and just absolutely freaking out and I make eye contact with my teacher. Five, maybe ten seconds, and he sorta gives me a nod. Within two minutes he had directed the conversation elsewhere and kept looking over at me I guess to make sure I hadn't passed out or anything haha.

I've been pretty vocal about GSM issues in his class before so technically this confirms why. I don't know how I feel ... He's fine with that sorta thing I just never expected to actually come out to him, unplanned, and without words. Okay. I survived.

2. King

He sounds like a nice teacher, I doubt you need to worry.

What are GSM issues?

3. biggayguy

Teacher's are usually a pretty good choice for someone to come out to. Most of them are pretty open minded unless you go to a religious school. Even in religious schools there are a few open minded teachers. Maybe you should bring up homophobia in the former Soviet Union today and in the past.

4. LongMayIReign

Yeah he's probably the most vocally supportive teacher of same-sex marriage within the school, I just wasn't prepared at all.

GSM stands for gender and sexuality minorities, which I sometimes just swap with LGBTQ+ because it's faster to say and I personally feel it's more inclusive of a broader spectrum.

5. Bring it

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You survived. That is the first and most important step. Beyond that, i guess if he has no problem with it then, cool. Good for you.(!!)

6. DrWhoMyLove

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Haha that almost happened to me! And I swear my music teacher thinks I'm dating one of my friends

7. Some Infinites

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had similar problems, I eventually came out to my mentor/english teacher (she had told us that her sister was a lesbian so I knew she would be supportive) and she does the same, whenever something is awkward she directs the conversations away.

It helps, to have someone with some form of power on your side, trust me.