1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my ex/now friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Zeevie, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Zeevie

Hi :slight_smile:

So, I came out to my ex-boyfriend/current friend after months and months of avoiding and dreading it and making myself ill worrying about it. It was terrifying. I stumbled over my words, rambled, skirted around it for a few minutes, before just blurting out "I'm gay! Sorry!"

I've no idea what I was apologizing for. Call it my stupid guilt complex. I guess, I felt...ashamed that I didn't fully "figure it out" before we started dating (we were friends for nearly two years before we started to date) and I felt awful, like he would think I "lead him on" or something. Stupid, I know :dry:

Word of advice, don't listen to the "worst case scenario" voice in your head, because 9 times outta 10, it's just overly-dramatic and not in the least bit accurate to what will probably actually happen.

So yeah...he got it. He was shocked, but, he accepted it. He said that if we could go back to being friends after being in a relationship without any mishap, then this wouldn't even be a factor. I was so relieved, because at the end of the day, he's so important to me and is one of my closest friends and I would be devastated if he reacted badly and didn't want to be my friend anymore because of it. The hug afterwards was just so comforting, like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

I'm just so thankful that so far (fingers-crossed) the most important people in my life have reacted mostly positively, because honestly, I don't think I'd be brave enough to be my true self (even to a few) otherwise. There are still people I know I'm not sure I'll ever be able to tell (a homophobic uncle and very religious friend come to mind) but this step has proved that I'm braver and stronger than I give myself credit for. So maybe, one day, I'll build up the courage to be fully out.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. If anyone else is in a similar situation, just know that I'm here if you need any advice (*hug*)

2. lovely lesbian

I'm glad your friend/ex boyfriend was accepting

3. Zeevie

Thank you (*hug*)

4. Silver Sparrow

YAAAAAAAAAYYYYY! Your friend sounds awesome!

5. Zeevie

He is :icon_bigg I can only hope that the rest of my loved ones take it as well as he did!

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to hear that he reacted well, and that your coming out journey has overall gone so well too. Awesomeness! :slight_smile:

7. I'm glad that he was accepting about it. Must of been such a relief for you! :slight_smile: