1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling the parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by soccerchick, Mar 26, 2007.

1. soccerchick

:confused: I have a question... how long was it about from the time that you knew that you were GLBT to coming out to your parents if you did? How did you do it (letter, phone, in person)? And what would have you done different now that you have done it?:confused:

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

For me, way way too long. But then there is a difference between "knowing I was gay" and "accepting I was gay" which accounts for the long delay. I knew I was gay by the time I was 16, probably earlier. I finally accepted I was gay when I was 26 and told my parents a few months letter.

I told them by letter, partly because I live 3 hours drive away. For my parents I think the letter was good (inded mum said so some time later, and that face-to-face would have been too much for her).

The only thing I would have done differently is not waste those 10 years. However back then the age of consent here was 21, which is a lifetime away when you're 16. That's not an excuse, just another obstacle I had to face.

However if I had come out sooner I would almost certainly have never met Markie (who I have been with for 15 years). Also I would have come out a year or two before the world became aware of HIV/AIDS, so there is a fair chance that I wouldn't be here today.

3. GuitarGirl1350

I knew for a while before I came out- it was about 3-5 years. I had only begun accepting it when I was around 12 or 13, so that delayed the process a bit. It took two more years for me to come out to my mother. I did it by e-mail, which is something I regret and do not recommend.

4. tired_of_lying411

I knew at twelve. My mom found out about a year later.
    I'm sixteen now, and just told my dad a few months ago.

It went well, both times. As I said, my mom came to me... with 'evidence'. And I told my dad in person. He was a LOT more shocked than I thought he would be. :slight_smile:

5. ampthejazz

I admitted to myself that I was "at least bi" toward the end of my freshman year.
    I admitted to myself that I was gay at the end of sophomore year (last May), when I told my parents.

But in hindsight, I've known for a long long time, like since puberty, but I was in a deep denial.

6. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never really came out to them, so much as I stopped swapping "him/her" and acting straight.

As far as timing, I started letting my guard down gradually in my early twenties.

They have since gotten the hint, and it hasn't been a problem.

7. BIfreak89

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    it took me some time, but it did it

8. geoking66

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've known since I was 13. My parents found out and I came out to them at 14. I guess maybe it was a little too early.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sigh for me I had just come out to myself as gay June of 2005. Before I had only thought I was bi, and was nowhere near as strong-willed about it as I am now. I came out to my parents by letter the first week of July and it was a disaster. I used a letter and after a miserable day I snuck back in the closet (not gonna bother saying how). But now that I know who I am and am proud of it, I will probably come out again, I just hope this time I won't be threatened with "eviction".