1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out To Childhood Friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Calamity, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Calamity

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This happened a few months ago, but I decided to post it here since I love reading these stories and wanted to share one of my own, and this one meant a lot to me.

I've been friends with this girl in my neighborhood since I was 4 years old, so even though we don't talk a lot anymore, we're pretty close. Occasionally she comes over to hang out or talk for a bit, or help me go shopping, plus we talk on Facebook, but we don't really have similar enough interests anymore to see each other in person. Her family is very nice to me, and has been helping my dad and I out a ton since my mother passed away. But they've always been a very Christian family with high morals, so I was pretty nervous about telling this friend. It was a last minute thing, too. I do remember the younger brother of this family mentioning to me once that his mom doesn't like Lady Gaga because "you can't be born that way," so that was another red flag to me.

Anyway, I asked said friend via Facebook to help me pick out some makeup for Homecoming, since I mentioned I was going with someone, the following weekend, and I wasn't really planning to come out after asking that. But here's that part of the conversation:

Her:
    "Okayyy so Just message me when you get home tomorrow"

Me:
    "okay"
    "hey but could i ask your opinion on gay marriage"

Her:
    "Of course! I don't recommend it.. I'm not all for it but at the same time I'm not going to bash someone down for being gay ya know? If they were my friend, of course I would be there for then in every way cause being gay doesn't change who the person is. But like I said I wouldn't say hey you should try dating girls ya know?"

Me:
    "I see."

At this point I was going to end the conversation, but she continued.

Her:
    "Why what's up?"

Me:
    "The person who I'm going with isn't a guy. And I like her. I'm not straight."
    "Sorry. I understand if you don't want to help anymore."

Her:
    "I knew you weren't. I've been waiting for you to tell me yourself. I'm not mad or upset or judging you [My Name]. I've known you since I was 4 of course I still want to help you!"

Me:
    "You knew?"

Her:
    "Yes I can tell when something is off about someone.. It's really no surprise to me"

Me:
    "thank you."

Her:
    "No prob! We are still on for tomorrow to get makeup"

Wow, considering what I'd heard from their family and what I had been expecting, it went extremely well. Since I'd known her for so long, and done so many things with her, this was a really nice thing for me to be able to say and be met with a nice response. Of course it's not a perfect response, nor would I expect it to be, but she's really supportive of me, and for that I'm really glad.

2. Rainbow Girl

That's awesome!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! It is wonderful that you have a friend, who despite her own upbringing, can set everything aside and accept and be there for you. I'm happy for you that your coming out went so well, and that nothing changed. :slight_smile:

4. That's awesome! I'm glad it went well for you! Congrats!!! :slight_smile: