1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by artist92, Mar 4, 2014.

1. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. When I was 15 years old, I realized for the first time that I was attracted to males. I hated myself for years, and tried hard to keep it a secret. Lately I have been suffering from depression, and I just couldn't hold it anymore. Six years was long enough. I told myself when I was at work yesterday that I would tell my parents. I worked up the courage (Kind of) and mentally practiced what I was going to say. Now my parents (And myself) are Christians, so I knew they would not be supportive of my lifestyle. But I underestimated their love for their son. I thought I would have the courage to tell them, but I broke down. I cried for a long time before I finally told them. I told my mom first, and her reaction was not what I expected. She said that she has known for a while now, and while she can't support my sexual preference, she will always love me, and that she will always be there for me. I told my dad later that night. His response was about the same, and he knew about it as well. They want me to get some counseling, and while I don't agree with that, I understand that they want the best for me. I will go, because I respect my parents and I want them to know that. However, I am not ashamed to say that I can't be converted to straight. I haven't told anyone else, and am too nervous to let anyone find out. I still can't believe I told them. I told myself I would NEVER let anyone know about it.

#1 artist92, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  2. Ravi-VIXX777

Wow congrats on coming out!!

I too had the same reaction, but my dad suggested I get a counselor. Which I will not go. Conversion therapy does more harm and self shame than good, nor does it work. Goodluck while going to counseling. Don't let them being you down! (*hug*)

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad that it went better than you had expected. :slight_smile:

SnowWhite is right - make sure that you don't let counseling get to you. I think it's very respectful of you to go though. Very admirable.
    Congrats!

4. IcelandLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't go to counseling. It's really damaging-trust me, I went a couple of times to the now defunct Exodus.