1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

came out to two friends today!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by purplekitty, Mar 20, 2014.

1. purplekitty

Okay so I have an ace of spades in my binder to subtly symbolize my aceness. It's basically a reminder/reassurance thing. So anyway at lunch one of my friends asked me what it meant. At first I was reluctant to answer, but he was looking at me expectantly so I asked him (let's call him F) and my other friend that was also there (who we shall call K) if they had ever heard of asexuality. K made the classic "you mean like an amoeba?" reference, but since he's a nice friend I knew he only meant it in jest. After I said, "No, not like an amoeba," I then told them that I'm asexual.

F didn't seem phased at all, he just wanted to ask me questions to learn more. K...he went back to his school work. I have actually suspected for a while that K likes me, and I kind of like him too (though I don't know if it's platonically, romantically, or somewhere in between, but that is a topic for another time). I guess he was surprised at this information.

So I ended up explaining what asexuality is and isn't and what aromanticism is and isn't (because I then had to explain that sexual and romantic attraction are not always the same). And then I ended up telling them that I'm agender, and told them what pronouns I like. F at first was reluctant to use "they" because it is usually considered plural, but once I showed him the "ne" pronouns (the singular ones I like) and basically told them that I don't prefer them because they are difficult to remember (and "they" suits me better), he relented. K was interested in the "ne" pronouns too, but that is about the only interest he showed.

And then we had to go back to classes, so that was it. I'm actually really glad that they were so receptive, and they really didn't say anything acephobic. The only regret is that I think K has lost interest in me now, probably because I gave the impression that I'm not interested in that stuff (I only meant the sexual stuff! But we were using vague language so I don't think I was exactly clear in that regard). I'm not sure if I'm relieved or upset about that.

So there, two more people to add to my out list! :icon_bigg

#1 purplekitty, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014