1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told my best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Derek the Wolf, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Derek the Wolf

Ahoy there.
    I'm 17 and I go to an all male military academy. Naturally there's not a lot of support for LGBT guys there. I have one really good friend in the world, period. I asked to come over to his house friday, he agreed no problem. We spent the morning just screwing around, we watched a movie, had a decent time. We went out for lunch at Wendy's. When we had both finished our meals, he took the tray and threw out our trash. I told him to sit down.
    After beating around the bush for a little bit "I'm not exactly gay, but... well I'm not straight..." he suggested I was bi. The fact that he was already suspicious made it that much easier. We talked in Wendy's for about half an hour, and drove home. I felt great. When we got to his house, we played video games, etc. Before I left we talked another hour or so, about the problems I faced being the way I am. He was nothing but supportive and understanding.
    Before I left he gave me a hug. It was like a 10 second+ hug. That kind of understanding he gave me... I feel closer to him now. The funny thing is, he's straight. He's just an accepting kind of guy. I'm gonna see him again next weekend (we live far away) and hopefully we can hammer out all the difficult questions.
    I'm in the process of telling my friends and family (told my sister, but not my parents). I know it won't be as easy with most people, but my friend gave me the courage to step outside my closet.
    Thanks a million, B.

2. boarder25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's really awesome. Sounds like it couldn't have gone better, especially considering the possibilities in a rather anti-gay environment like that.

So glad to hear it went well, and best of luck for the many times in the future you will do it again. (*hug*)

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

That's awesome I hope it's just as easy for you in the future.

Congrats again!

4. ScentedRegrets

That is a wonderful story, congratulations! I know exactly what you mean about being closer after you come out. It is really as though you are saying, "I care about you enough that I want you to know the real me." And I also know about how much easier it is if the person already suspects what you are about to divulge to them beforehand.

A few days ago, I told one of my friends from high school. We were just meeting up for lunch, and it was completely spur of the moment. I hadn't planned to tell her, but it just came up. She asked if I was seeing anyone. I said, "well, I've been thinking a lot lately, and I really want to find a boyfriend. I really do not have much attraction to girls, other than as friends, like us." She laughed a bit, and said "I knew it." I asked her how, and she said that when we were watching Transformers (we saw it in the theater the two of us and her boyfriend at the time), she said she thought I was drooling over Shia LaBeuf, which I admitted that I was. In fact, he is actually the photo on my desktop :slight_smile:

Any who, congratulations, and thanks for sharing your story! I hope to hear more stories like that from you!

5. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, he sounds like an amazing friend, and I'm glad you're able to talk about it with him. Good luck with coming out in the future

6. Derek the Wolf

Thanks for the positive responses. Since telling him I've had the courage to tell a couple more friends, and so far I haven't hit a really negative response. I just hope that when I do it one, I'll be ready for it.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome. You have a really great friend. I am happy for you that it went so well. Positive responses will make the coming out journey easier and as you said give us the courage to come out to others.

Congratulations!

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you haven't thanked him for being such an awesome friend yet, do it now. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. musicXowl

congrats on comming out!

10. Blaz

Blaz Guest

That's really awesome man. Best of luck.

11. Thats really great!

12. Malchik89

Thats awesome, and shockingly similar to my coming out actually lol cuz i was 17 when i told my best friend, who is like the most uber straight boy in the world. And yeah i mean i told him, he had his suspicions and he was nothing but understanding. It didnt matter because i was still me, and yeah he gave me a hug too ^^ But yeah dude, major congrats!

13. Derek the Wolf

Thanks everybody. I'm in the process of planning how to tell my parents. I think I'm gonna tell them individually, but I'll probably go through with it before summer's end. I'm not exactly good at keeping secrets. Anyway, I'll ask for advice when I'm closer to that...

14. acorn7

I'm so glad it went well and your friend is as cool as he is. It's really good to hear.

15. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

thats soooo cool!

16. Poring

You know what you should give him? Those really big (and I mean big!) hallmark cards saying "You're a Great Friend" or something like that :grin:

17. Derek the Wolf

I told him how much I appreciate it, and he acts like it's no big deal. I wouldn't really expect him to understand what it's like, but I'm overjoyed at how well he took it. Well it's time to start a new thread. Let's do this thing...

18. silentsound

19. Brett

That's amazing! And just to let you know, I am soooo beyond jealous!
    Way to go man! Hope your luck and happiness continue!