1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to First Two People

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by SimpleMan, Apr 4, 2014.

1. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Long time no post, but today was an important step for me and wanted to share.

I work in a school and this week was Spring Break. I've been going crazy working 60 hours a week, and took the opportunity to visit friends near Philly for part of the week. Took the week off my second job as well. Before the trip, I said in therapy I felt like I was spinning my tires trying to understand my fear and shame. In that session he had me set a goal date for when I would be out to someone. I chose May 29th. Far enough away to give me time, but close enough to make it feel real.

The friends I was visiting this week were my old boss and his family. They are like a second family to me and have always been on the top of the list of people to come out to. I seriously was thinking about it on the way out. Early conversations in the week would have been great segues to saying it to them, but I just couldn't get the words out.

Our conversation last night after having dinner with coworkers was the absolute PERFECT time to tell them. It was a very in depth conversation about LGBTQ rights. (We've always been on the same page there.) It was on the tip of my tongue, but I was so busy thinking of how to say it the conversation turned before I could get it out. I lost my courage.

I had shared with them about Brené Brown's work earlier in the week when discussing the reasons our former employer struggled to keep employees and also how it related to shame being used in schools. I decided to stop by Barnes and Noble to buy them a copy as a gift before I left. I found a perfect blank greeting card there. On the front was a quote from Eleanor Roosevelt. "Do something every day that scares you." Perfect considering the daring greatly quote in the book.

I thanked them for their hospitality, and shared that I had wanted to tell them I was gay the night before but couldn't get the words out, and how the book helped me to understand my own shame and fear. I left the book and card on their dining room table when I left to drive home.

I just got a really nice text in response from them. (I asked that they give me a few days before calling on the phone.) So the first important people in my life now know. I am still in a bit of freak out mode, but it's an important step forward. I may just sob the rest of the drive back to the Midwest. Tough but good day.

#1 SimpleMan, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a beautiful post! This was such a big step forward for you! It will get easier with each person you tell, I think. At least, it has been for me.

You deserve to celebrate the occasion! Do something just for yourself today.

And, at least in my experience, with each person that accepts you for who you truly are, with each person who tells you they can't imagine your relationship changing because of this, you'll accept yourself more and more--and that's the path to real healing.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!

(*hug*)

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whew!! Congrats! :grin: Very glad to hear it went so well. You pulled it off stunningly! :thumbsup:

4. thrnvlpidj

Thanks for sharing

5. Silver Sparrow

Congrats!!! So glad your first coming out went well!

6. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone! Still feeling pretty uncomfortable. Dropped the F bomb more on the long car ride home than I probably have in the last two years combined. I think I just feel exposed and I am not used to it.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I now know how hard it is to come out to anyone. Just saying it to my therapist today was physically very difficult.

I'm very happy for you.