1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am Officially Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by willycubed28, Apr 10, 2014.

1. willycubed28

So I had finally came out to my mom last month, and I decided that it was time to make it official on facebook. I had totally forgotten that I hadn't told my birth mother's side of the family yet. My two uncles on that side are pastors of a church in Florida. Well, the other night I came out on facebook and told everyone that I am gay. For the most part everyone loved and supported me. None of my family responded. I, did however have a "friend" tell me that I was basically going to hell for being a homosexual. I also out of the blue had an old friend that I haven't spoken to you 7 years send me a facebook message saying that it would be beneficial to me to hang out with him and his Christian friends.

I was like "you and I haven't spoken in 7 years and all of sudden you want to hang out with me because you think I should become straight". Needless to say he didn't respond. Like I said for the most part coming out on facebook was great and I received so much love and support, but now I am wondering what my mother's side of the family is thinking.

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on coming out, and I'm glad it went so well (for the most part, except for those few, minor glitches) :wink:.
    I know a lot of folks who've done it through FB, and it's proved to work quite well for them.

But ye, you identified my primary concern with telling people via social media - You can't see their reaction. You don't know if they're surprised, angry, happy, etc., and there are just so many people that you're telling, it'd be hard to keep track of any way.
    Hope things are good with your mother's side. Congrats again! :grin:

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good job on handling your coming out so well.

However, "friends" on Facebook means nothing. Especially ones who haven't spoken to you in forever and think they suddenly need to redeem your soul or something.

Treasure the ones who care for you no matter who you are. Those are real friends.