1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a few friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MaddogMJ5, Apr 11, 2014.

1. MaddogMJ5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I first learned I like girls, and about "stuff" around the age of 10. I then kinda thought I liked guys at the ago of 13 1/2. At the age of 14, I then accepted myself as bisexual. Anyways, on to the story (STORY TIME YAAAY!!!! (I'm stalling aren't I?) anyways...) I never felt like I needed to do anything about being bi until maybe about a month and a half ago. I had this overwhelming idea that I NEEDED to tell someone. So, I messaged my girlfriend(?), telling her I was bi. I did this because I already knew she was bi, so she wouldn't have a problem with it. That made me feel a little better, but I still needed to tell more people. So, I messaged my friend "L", telling him I was bi. He thought I was just playing a game with him, it made me feel HORRIBLE, I nearly cried. Eventually I think I convinced him, but I'm still not sure if he believes it to this day. As I was on my way to "L", house my other friend "B" shows up. He apparently was watching our conversation unfold. He asked me directly if I was bi...... I got really nervous, Panicky, and could barely breath. I said "sure". He then asked "Are you sexually attracted to men?"............... Me: "...." Not sure how that conversation went down exactly but I continued on to Larry's house. I have never been confronted by them since. BTW: "B" & "L" are both 18, and I am not attracted to them like that. End of story time.

I want to tell my parents, but I just feel like......... I don't know, we are all Atheists so I don't have religion to worry about. I feel like they will change how they think about me, or act towards me. I feel like something will change, and I don't want that. "B" has tried to get me to tell my parents, I told him I just dont want to. Anyways, I hope somebody may be able to help me, or something? I don't know.

2. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure I can help, I just went through the reverse of telling my kids. I have never been so frightened. They are around your age. I can share this, its ok that b wants you to tell your parents but you have to want to and you have to have confidence in yourself and know that you are ok with it first.,
    Eventually you will have to but only you can decide when.
    I want to add that I am really proud of you for getting this far already. I know its scary, I am 40 and only now feeling like I can tell people. Good luck

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is always some risk when you're coming out to people, especially your parents. You're putting yourself in an incredibly vulnerable position, and 80% of the time you're not even sure how the person will react to it. That's just the name of the game, unfortunately. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But I will tell you - it feels amazing to be out to the most important people in your life. There's a reason you feel you want to tell your parents; you want to include them in something so deep a part of you, and it feels amazing when they know.

Have they ever given you any hints that they're supportive or unsupportive of LGBT folks?
    Because they're atheists, I'd say it's more likely that they'll be supportive, but that's not always the case.
    If you feel comfortable with your parents, I'd say you just need to get the courage up and talk to them about it.
    They might treat you a bit differently at first, but most of the time, that can be solved with further discussion and understanding of your feelings on their part. They just want to understand you as a person.

So yes - How are your parents? Open-minded? Supportive?

4. MaddogMJ5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm extremely sure that both of them will be very accepting and supporting. I'm just nervous to tell them, because..........I dont know. Its not easy obviously.