1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out story so far :)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MathMan, Apr 11, 2014.

1. MathMan

Hey Everyone,
    I haven't been on here in a while, since september actually, and that last post was me mentioning how I came out to my sister. She was the first person that I've told, well, except for my counselour in rehab a year prior...first person close to me who actually matters..there. Well, I want to put an update plus also offer up a positive experience to inspire other with the courage to come out. Here it goes....

Well, since my last post in september, I have come out to 3 more people in my life. One: a pretty close friend who I don't see very often in which i came out to about a week after I came out to my sister. He had NO idea I was gay, which I honestly was surprised at because the reason I came out to him was because I thought he had an idea but didn't care...well, turns out it didn't change anything...well, for the bad. Since then, he has been very supportive of me. Far more then I would have ever inticipated. He even offered to go to a gay club with me as support when I mentioned my failed attempt in the past to go to one without leaving within 5 minutes. That actually surprised me a lot because this person is the last person on the planet i would invision going to any type of club, EVER!
    2nd, was only about a couple weeks ago, and this person is by far my closest friend I have ever had in my life. We have basically grown up together and hung out constantly since like 1st grade. You may be wondering why I didn't come out to him first. Well, I have 2 reasons I suppose: 1st being that he has said some very closeminded stuff in his life and his parents and grandparents are VEERRRYYY backwards people and I feared he wouldn't be supportive. 2nd, out of all the people in my life, if he would have happened to shun me for this, I don't think I could actually continue living, at least not without it unraveling my entire life structure at this point....so, that's why I hesitated. But, after I told him, I have never seen him be so supportive before. I mentioned to him about me hearing about my father talking about killing me when I was 17(in my last post) and he told me if he even started to hear anything like that now, even from my dad, he would fight him in an instance, and he's never been in a fight his whole life!!! I almost came to tears when he told me that! :slight_smile:
    3rd person I told yesterday night actually. He's another close friend, but we haven't talked much recently because him and his wife have been busy with the newborn. But when the thought to tell him crossed my mind, like it had so many times in my life, the decision felt so easy, I had so much confidence, for the first time in my life, I felt like it would go great, and if it didn't, I would be fine without a person like that in my life...but it went great, he still loves me to death and wants me to tell his wife next weekend when I come visit..I am so happy! I never thought I would be at this point in my life that I could love myself so much..I want to think this community for everything it has given me so far :grin:

I have plans tomorrow to go to an engagement with some people in my life who have been like parents to me for the past 6 years, I really want to tell both of them I'm gay because they mean the world to me and have helped me and supported me ten-fold then either of my biological parents have.
    So wish me luck everyone, and to anyone who is still in the closet, I hope this tid-bit gives you some hope.

2. 101DeadRoses

Thank you for sharing that! I have come out to a few people in my life, one of them being my mother.

I'm just going to paste this one more time, I promise :wink: . It isn't the full story, but just an over-all summary.

I was shaking and flushed when I finally managed to get out "I'm bisexual" to my mom, even though I knew she didn't mind. It is a big thing when you are coming out. It was easier to come out to other people once I came out to her, because the most important person to me ever was by my side and I knew that if they didn't like it, or said something about it, they would have an angry mother to answer to. Just thinking about it makes me swell up with pride.