1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to doctor

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by yidnah87, Apr 12, 2014.

1. yidnah87

I had my annual physical the other day, and decided it was time for me to come out to my doctor. I've been seeing him for a few years now, and have read about the importance of coming out to your doctor to get health care tailored to your needs. I had tried to come out during last year's physical, but I wasn't able to do it. I'm now far more experienced in coming out.

It started with the nurse asking me various lifestyle questions. One question was "Are you sexually active?", and I answered yes. I then went on to state that I was bisexual and that I was active with men. After some more questions, she left and then the doctor came in. While I was on the exam table he asked me if there was anything in particular I wanted to talk about. I then told him as well that I am bisexual and am sexually active with men. He said it's good that I mentioned that and handled it in a nonjudgemental way. He asked me if I was using protection, if I wanted to add HIV testing to my regular blood work, and suggested a few vaccinations to get (I don't want to get into this debate here, this isn't the health forum).

I felt it was a good experience, now that my sexual orientation is written in my health records. I will now have care that is more suitable to my needs. I encourage you all to come out to your provider if you haven't done so already for this reason.

2. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

That's great

3. Geo58

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was at my Dr's office yesterday, I had allergies or a cold I couldn't tell which all I know was I felt like crap. The same thought hit my head when he asked me if I was married or living with someone before he sent the rx to the pharmacy. I didn't tell him that I was gay though. My concern is if this goes on my medical file. Through a couple of job changes last year I no longer have group medical insurance and had tried to get a private insurance policy before winding up on cobra insurance. Does this go against you when you apply for medical insurance and the insurance company pulls your health records?

I will see my doctor again in June and may decide to talk to him about it at that time.

#3 Geo58, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014